I Have Acne on One Side of my Face Why?

I am a female and once when I was a child i rubbed a razor up against my face. Ever since I have had acne on that one side of my face. I know the skin on my face is sensitive but it is just quite annoying. Is there anyway I can reverse this. Can you explain this phenomenon. The rest of my skin is spotless. It's been years and I only treat that one side of my face for acne.

Acne on one side of the face only

+2

It's not uncommon for one side of the face to have more acne than the other. It doesn't have a thing to do with the razor you rubbed on your face as a child, so you don't need to worry about that. It's just life. You should see a dermatologist for an evaluation and probably some prescriptions or regimen changes.

Hemi-facial acne.

+2

One sided acne is often from something irritating your skin

There are certain things that you may be doing to promote the occurrence of acne on only one side.

A couple of things that tend to be more common: sleeping on that side, holding your head up with your hand on that side, or holding a telephone to that side of your face. 

Regardless, you should see a dermatologist who can prescribe medications to treat your skin.

Laura Rosenzweig, MD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne on one side of face only

+1
It is really hard to determine how severe the acne is and determine what grade of acne.  The best recommendation would be to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist so they can do a proper consultation and discuss some of your options.

Gregory A. Wiener, MD, FACS

Consider Environmental Factors

+1

When acne is seen on more on one side of the face, environmental factors need to be considered.  We always suggest your laundry be washed in the most chemical free detergent such as All-Free, Tide Free or other such detergents.  I would also suggest not using any dryer softener strips.  These chemicals can also cause irritation.  These chemicals tend to get "leached out" of the fabric with your perspiration or even saliva.  Lastly, there have been many reports when the whiteners, brightener and fluoride in toothpaste can lead to acne around the mouth.  We usually suggest a natural toothpaste like Tom's Toothpaste.

Jay S. Gottlieb, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist