Acne Scars at Age 41. Dermabrasion Made Them Worse. What Are My Options?

I have significant acne scarring! I have had two dermabasions, one about 18 years ago and the last about 10 years ago. The last dermabrasion left white scars! I am a41 year old business women and I know that my scars have held me back in my life! I've always been ashamed!!!

H

+1

In our office we have 2 lasers done together that would give you great results Profractional laser and micro laser peel.  If after that treatment you were looking for more we would recommend a mini face lift to stretch out your skin  from the scar that are deep. You should see a PS to help you give you permanent options for you situation. Good luck.

Acne Scar Treatment

+1

1. Consider scar treatment only in the absence of active acne disease. 

2. The hypo pigmented scars are due to aggressive dermabrasion and you should avoid similar procedures or ablative CO2 lasers. 

3. The type of scars need to be identified before treatment is recommended/suggested. 

4. If any laser treatments are considered, you should be off Accutane for at least 9-12 months.

5. Usually a combination of treatments are needed to correct severe acne scarring, ex. injectable fillers (stay away from liquid silicone) and fractional lasers, punch excision and micro grafting and most recently, stem cell enriched fat grafts.

In summary, the key for success is identifying the problem and creating a customized treatment plan based on the current condition of your skin.

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Acne Scarring

+1

It would help to see photographs to have a better sense of what kind of acne scars you have.  There are many different types and depending on the skin type and acne scar types, there are several different effective treatments that can be done alone or in combination. In our practice we utilize mostly injectable fillers, electrosurgery and punch excision/grafting. I personally do not think lasers or chemical peeling improves acne scars much at all. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in treating acne scars. Click on the link  below for before and after photos. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Acne scar tratment

+1

I would recommend subcision with chemical peel to bring the scars more to the surface. Than I would recommend soft tissue transfer and Co2 laser if necessary. We have had great success with both.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon