Can Several Mixto Laser Treatments Completely Smooth out Acne Scars?

I have bad acne scarring on my cheeks and chin. It's causing me to be very insecure even with makeup on. Is it possible to completely smooth out acne scars with multiple Mixto Fractional Laser procedures?

Simple answer is "no"

+3

There is no treatment that can completely eliminate acne scars and leave you with totally smooth undamaged skin. I have seen patients who have had literally hundreds of treatments questing for normal skin using lasers, IPL, dermabrasion, chemical peels, skin care, and even facelifts and have spent 10's of thousands of dollars trying to cure to their acne skin damage. The damage from acne is through the full depth of the skin and therefore can't ever be totally removed. If your expectations are for "improvement," this can happen but if you will only be happy if the scars are gone, you will unfortunately never get there.

Micro Fractional Laser and Acne Scars

+2

I agree that none of fractional CO2 lasers can make skin perfectly smooth. However, We have been using An Erbium-Yag laser to "sand down" the ridges first, then at the same treatment, aggressive Microfractional CO2 laser resurfacing. This has increased our smoothing from 45% -55% up to 65-80% in only one treatment.

Michael Tomcik, MD
San Ramon Dermatologist

Micro Fractional CO2 Laser Treatment for Acne Scars

+1

It’s possible to improve acne scar however it’s important to understand that deeper pitted scars may require other treatment modalities. For most people who have significant acne scars, the Mixto SX microfractional CO2 laser can help improve the appearance of the scars but the patient has to be properly examined before making this choice.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing helpful for acne scarring

+1

It is not realistic to assume Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing using Mixto, Total Fx, Fraxel Repair will bring about a porcelain smooth skin even after multiple treatments. Each treatment in the hands of an experienced board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon should result in 35-55% improvement of existing acne scarring each time. The clinical improvement may be more modest for ethnic skin as the parameters used in laser resurfacing would have to be more conservative to minimize risk of post-inflammatory pigmentation.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Will several Mixto treatments make my acne scars completely smooth?

+1

Hi there-

In my Orlando Plastic Surgery and Skin Care Center, we are big fans of the Mixto laser- I believe the results, recovery, and patient experience are superior to alternatives available right now- However...

There is NO laser treatment or skin care regimen that could be expected to make your skin look as though the acne never happened... even with multiple treatments.

I do think that when performed by a skilled provider with experience using the Mixto (yes, it absolutely DOES matter who does it, no matter how good the machine is), you have an excellent chance of achieving a result that you feel represents a tremendous improvement, with dramatic diminishment in the appearance of the scars- but it's probably unreasonable to expect them to be completely gone.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Mixto plus injections or sub-incision will give best result

+1

The Mixto G2, which is the type just released to the US, is the most effective short recovery laser we have used for acne scars. It will take several sessions for really deep acne scars.

In addition, we may do sub-incision where we release under the deepest scars as we do the Mixto.

The degree of success depends on your skin type and the depth of scar. We do not treat unless the acne is controlled.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Mixto fractional laser resurfacing can help to diminish acne scars

+1

Mixto fractional laser resurfacing works beautifully to help reduce scarring caused by acne. This CO2 (carbon dioxide) laser helps to deliver a precise matrix of Microspots that penetrate to the dermis and stimulate the formation of new collagen. At the same time, immediate shrinkage of damaged tissue is achieved.

The Mixto improves pigmentation problems, reduces pore size appearance, wrinkles, acne scars, and other textural irregularities. The laser has an additive effect and many patients will notice greater improvement when they have multiple sessions.

Compared to traditional skin resurfacing, clients experience less downtime and are more comfortable during the procedure. It is unlikely that any one procedure will completely smooth the skin from acne scars, but my patients have noticed an improvement ranging from 30-60%.

When you compare it to Fraxel, make sure you are comparing it to the Fraxel Re:pair, which is based on the same CO2 laser technology as Mixto. The older Fraxel model is based upon erbium and may not give the same improvement.

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon