Why Am I Losing Fat on my Cheeks?

I have acne and pimple scars on my face. I have been doing laser treament for couple of months now, but over the period, I noticed that the fat on my cheeks is getting more and more suppressed, which in turn makes my scars more prominent. Is there something I can do to avoid this? What could possibly be causing the fat loss fat from my cheeks?

Facial fat loss can be caused by a number of things

+1

Mathew,

Facial fat loss, termed lipoatrophy, can be caused by a number of factors including genetic factors, aging, chronic illness, and some infectious diseases. I recommend that you see your local physician to have a complete evaluation to rule out a medical condition that may require treatment.

However, facial fat grafting, also called fat transfer, is an excellent solution to provide increased volume to the face and improve the look of the acne scars especially if used in combination with a surface treatment such as laser. Laser treatment, by itself, is unlikely to be a cause of facial fat volume loss. Sculptra is another product that is indicated for facial lipoatrophy; however, unlike fat grafting, the results are temporary (2-3 years).

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon