Acne Scars on the Back and Shoulders?

I suffered from back acne some years ago. My back and my shoulders have now, plenty of white, little scars. They are sort of kelloid because they have volume but they’re not big, still ,I don’t like them. I would like to know what the best option would be to get rid of them.

Acne scars on shoulders and back

+2

Raised scars from acne can be treated by resurfacing. The best option would be laser resurfacing with a fractional laser. Your skin may have to be pre-treated with a bleaching cream to avoid any hyperpigmentation from these treatments depending on your skin type and color.

Chemical peels may help reduce your raised scars as well. A series of treatments is recommended to get the best results, and results may be gradual. Total resolution may not be achieved, but the appearance of your skin should improve with completion of a series.

Avoid direct sun exposure to reduce the appearance of discolored scars and wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen of  SPF 30 or higher when the skin is exposed to the sun.

I recommend a consultation with a dermatologist and/or skin care specialist to assess your condition. They will then recommend the best treatment course for you. Good luck!

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Keloidal scars on the back

+1
It will be better that you do not have any surgical intervention in them since they will get bigger.  Non-ablative laser treatments are recommended.  Like Laser genesis, 1064 nm.

Maritza Perez, MD
New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon

Back acne scar treatment with fractional laser and Melaquin

+1

Acne Scars on the back and shoulder can be improved with pulsed dye laser, topical creams Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM, and fractional laser resurfacing. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Acne scars on back

+1

Depending on the type of scarring, a combination of laser treatments, chemical peels and/or injections of scars can be beneficial. Pulsed dye laser can help with thicker red scars (usually in combination with injections) while a fractional laser treatment (fraxel is an example) can help atrophic, white or raised scars.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Acne scars on back

+1

You have various options for the scars on your back. Best to see a dermatologist to assess the nature of the scars and to treat any ongoing acne before the scars are dealt with. Treatment options include creams with modest effect, chemical peels with moderate effect, and laser resurfacing (e.g. fractionated lasers) with greatest chance of improvement (but also higher cost, more pain & more down time). Good luck!

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon