Acne Scarring-Silicone or Other Treatments? (photo)

Would silicone help with this type of scarring? If not, what would be recommended for the best outcome? Thank you!

Hello

+1

In our practice the lasers we do is Dot Laser, Profractional C02 laser, micro laser peel and or VI peel for very mild acne scarring. If you go to our website you can read about each procedure and you can kind of determine what would benefit you the best. You have quite a few options for acne scars depending on how deep they are.

Acne Scarring helped by Silicone

+1

Silicone could help your acne scarring but you might not notice any difference at all. Most people / surgeons / doctors would likely say that it won't help at this stage and that it would most likely help early on. I would consider a multilayered approach and also co2 laser resurfacing.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Palette of Acne Scar Revision

+1

I think that silicone microdroplet will be one of several therapies we will need to get you the best results we can. I think of it as teh Palette of Acne Scar Revision. I need to see how distensible the scars are by stretching the skin. That will help determine how much change we can expect. You will need some subcision and probably some CROSS as well.  It will be a work in progress and multiple sessions will be needed. Fractional CO2 resurfacing may help us even up the last irregularities.

Miami Dermatologist

Acne Scarring Treatments

+1

Based on what I can see from the picture, I think you would benefit from treatments with injectable liquid silicone.  You have several broad-based, depressed scars that do very nicely with filler.  It appears you also have some pitted and punched-out scars which can be treated with other techniques such as electrosurgery (electrodessication) and punch excision. Unlike many other physicians, I do not feel lasers improve acne scarring significantly enough to justify the cost.  Click on the link below to view before and after photos of patients with a variety of acne scars treated with liquid injectable silicone, electrodessication or a combination of the two. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=24

Fractional Lasers are great for acne scars

+1

Looking at your photo it seems you have moderate to deep acne scarring over the majority of your face but concentrated on the cheek area.  There are a lot of typical treatments out there but the latest one that I've seen have dramatic affects are fractionated lasers.  It tends to be easier on your skin in treatment and in recovery and also works far deeper than most traditional treatments.  For your severe scars I would think that you would need multiple treatments but you should see dramatic results. 

Dermabrasion and traditional laser treatments are more superficial and will tend to 'smooth' out the surface texture irregularities that you have but leave behind the deeper scars.   Other treatments are typically more involved and I would wait to see how these work first.

And if you're talking about topical silicone gel to help the scar, forget it- you need to apply those treatments earlier in the scaring phase for them to work.  Injectable silicone I think is extremely risky and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Freehold Plastic Surgeon

What is the best treatment for acne scars?

+1

Acne scars typically require multiple different treatments to optimize the outcome.

1. Laser resurfacing
  2. dermabrasion
  3. excision
  4. subcision
  5. fillers or fat grafting

Often a combination of many of the above methods is necessary.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Managing silicone microdroplet complications on the face and for acne scars

+1

I regularly treat patients who have complications from silicone injections on their face and feel that the option of injecting silicone microdroplets into your acne scars is a poor choice.  In my Los Angeles plastic surgery practice, I only perform revision of silicone complications. 

Acne scarring Treatments

+1

By the looks of your scarring, it seems to be fairly extensive.  I would recommend either fractional CO2 or Fraxel 1550.  Your skin unfortunately will never return to it original texture, but I have seen dramatic improvements with these lasers.  I will take multiple treatments.  I would not do silicone.  In the future, LaViv, might be a good option, the studies are being conducted now.  Stem cells might also help, but that is not investigated too well at the present time.