Why Did an Attempt to Remove a Deep Pit Acne Scar Result in an Even Worse Scar?

I had a deep pit chicken pox or acne scar at the top of my nose. I recently underwent Rhinoplasty and at the last minute asked that the surgeon do whatever he could to try to get rid of the acne scar as well. When I woke up, there was a large circular scab where the scar had been previously. It has been a week and the scab has now fallen off. To my surprise one small deep pit has now been replaced by a shallower but much larger scar.

I am kind of freaking out because I would have left the pit alone if I had known that the procedure he would perform would leave me with a larger more noticeable scar. I know he is a good Rhinoplasty surgeon so I am kind of stunned that what he did with the scar has made it look worse. It appears to be totally healed so I don't think it is going to look better. I am really depressed about this.

Could someone explain what happened. Please tell me how I can try to get rid of this new bigger scar. I am really worried because it is prominent. I have plenty of minor scars but this thing is big and definitely something that people will notice. They may never pay attention to my new nose because the scar may preoccupy them. Please provide whatever help you can. I would very much appreciate it.

Hold on there tiger fan

+2

Tiger Fan,

Do you know what was done to the scar? It sounds as if your surgeon may have done a laser treatment on it. That would account for the larger round scab. It is still very early in your recovery and it takes several weeks, if not months for the new scar to heal. Be patient and speak to your surgeon about what you should expect. Good luck!

Be patient - you are only one week after surgery

+2

Tigerfan7777, Please be patient - you are only one week after surgery. Incisions on the face and nose heal very well, but you have to give it time. It takes a minimum of 3 to 6 months for the incisions to heal. In the mean time, make sure you keep the area clean, protect it from the sun and follow your surgeon's post-operative instructions to maximize the healing process. Good luck with your recovery.

David Shafer, MD

Fraxel laser for Nasal Scar

+2

Hi tigerfan,

You should get a series of Fraxel re;store treatments for the scar.  It may take 4-6 treatments every 2-3 weeks, but the laser treatments should minimize the scar on your nose. 

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD