Will Acne Scar Resurface if I Dont Do Fraxel Regularly?

Fraxel for scarring lasts... unless you have active acne.

Fraxel is a great treatment for long-lasting results. To change the texture of the skin, from acne scarring, multiple treatments may be required. Once the results are achieved, they are long term. However, Fraxel is not supposed to be used for skin with active acne, since treating it will not have any long-lasting effects since the scarring will reoccur post-eruption.

If acne is active there are other treatment options, such as Isolaz, to explore before treating the scarring. 

As well, you may want to consider the benefits of Vbeam for redness and Fraxel for to even out the texture and tone. Perhaps you need one more than the other, or a combination of the two for synergistic results. 

Regardless, you should go talk with someone who you trust. Do your homework and make sure you feel comfortable with the advice that is given to you. For example, At the Victoria Park Medispa, we take off the doctor consultation fee from any appointment booked and offer complimentary consultations with our technicians, therefore reducing a client’s risk of having a treatment performed without taking the time to think about what they really want.

Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

376 Victoria Avenue
Westmount, QC H3Z 1C3

I like to treat most acne scars with a single combination treatment using extensive subcision and Fraxel Repair Laser.

In my hands the best and most permanent treatment for most acne scars is a single combination treatment using extensive subcision and Fraxel Repair Laser.  If this is done well, additional treatments may not be necessary.  Deep pitted scars usually require punch excision.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

440 West 200 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

The improvement from Fraxel Dual re:store for acne scars is permanent

After the edema settles down and you are about 3 months out from your Fraxel treatment for acne scars, the result you have should last a lifetime, IF you don't create more scarring with further acne.  The question always asked of me is how many do I need.  That is difficult to answer, could be 5 or 10, depending on the degree of scarring, and how much you want it improved.  Also you can only expect improvement and not resolution of your scars.  Unfortunately, the skin will never look entirely normal, but better.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

2050 W County Highway 30A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459

Treating Acne Scars

I also do not entirely understand your question, but just know that laser is not the only way to treat acne scars. Treatments depends on the type of acne scars. I personally think Fraxel is over-rated; a lot of money spent, a lot of treatments, for modest results which are not long-lasting. I recommend you get a second opinion from a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon experienced in treating all types of acne scars. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD

163A East 70th Street
New York, NY 10021

No, acne scars will not resurface once you stop Fraxel.

It works like this, each session of fractional resurfacing gives you increments of improvement. And you would need a few sessions to get to your expected outcome. But when you stop/ discontinue the treatments earlier than planned, no, you will not go back to level zero. You will be able to keep whatever improvement you have achieved so far. 

However, if you are still getting new pimples, well, then there is a case for new scars as well.

Renita (Lourdhurajan) Rajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

5C, Haddows Lane
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600034

Acne Scars...

I'm sorry, I am not sure I understand your question...

Acne scars will not just disappear if you do not do any laser resurfacing.  Multiiple treatments will be needed to achive optimal results.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292