Asian Acne Scar Removal - What Works Best for Dark Skin?

I am looking for a treatment that's affordable. My pores are getting larger the older I get and I would like to prevent this from increasing. I have old acne scars and reccuring mild acne breakouts, which I believe is the combination of food and stress. I went back to the states, from Korea, for a one month vacation and was able to see the quick change in my skin return to an acne-free skin. I am a vegan and I excersize 3-4 times a week. Photo: This was taken in August 2008 in Chicago. I am the one with my head covered. I have darker scars on my right side, which you can't see in this picture. What treatment would work best for my acne scars?

Acne scars in dark skin

+2

Dark skin is prone to produce more pigmentation after any procedure which get trauma to skin.

I think that before going to any procedure trying topical bleaching agents & use of sun screen is the best option for pigmentation in dark skin.

Acne scars can be assessed individually & then any local procedure like subcision can be of great help.

Pakistan Dermatologist

Many lasers and dermabrasion may worsen problems in darker skin

+2

Many lasers and dermabrasion may worsen acne scars and large pores in darker skinned people. It is usually wise to begin with Retin A gel (or its cousins Differen and Tazorac) combined with a bleaching gel. Light chemical peels (not agressive ones) may also help.

If this is not satisfactory after several months, test spots of different lasers or dermabrasion are the next step.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scar Treatment on Darker Skin

+1

Acne scars on darker skin is a challenge.  A combination of peels and a good medical grade skin care line such as Obagi in combination with Retin A could help.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Chemical peels would work well for you.

+1

A good starting point would be salicylic acid peels which work well for acne in dark skin. I get good results with radiofrequency bipolar rejuvenation in managing acne scars, and I work mostly with darker skin types.

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist