Acne Scar Excision Vs Mole Excision?

My friend had a large mole removed from her cheek. The results were excellent. Instead of a mole there is now just a thin white line. The mole was very big. So, if such good results can be achieved with mole excision, then why not with excision of large acne scars, or are the two procedures different and do they have different risks and results? Based on my friends experience I'd like to have my 3 or 4 largest acne scars excised. However, the derms where I am seem to prefer fraxel.

Acne scar treatment

+2

Deep acne scars or pits (pitted scars) are often treated with excision (cutting and stitching). This can be done in a elliptical manner, as would be the case with a mole removal, in which a piece of skin that is in the shape of an eye (not round).

Additionally, deep acne scars can be treated using a punch elevation, in which round depressed scars are cut around the border with a round blade (called a punch) and the skin is elevated and sutured or glued into place. Usually, the elevated skin is higher than the normal skin and is flattened via dermabrasion (sanding) or laser resurfacing. Another option for deep scars is punch grafting, in which the scar is punched out (cut out with a punch) and a round piece of skin that is taken from somewhere else (often from behind the ear) is put in its place (grafted).

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Excision of deep acne scars

+1

If your acne scars are very deep, excision can be an excellent choice for treatment.  Most acne scars are small enough to be removed with a simple punch scalpel (circular, cookie-cutter like blade) and closed with just 1-3 stitiches.  The stitches would stay in place for 5-7 days.  Any board-certified dermatologist should be able to perform this procedure for you.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Hello

+1

There is a few options for acne scars. You can get profractional laser with micro laser peel that in it self will get rid of a lot of your scars but not 100%. If you want 100% you can do a mini facelift that would be stretching the skin and getting rid of the deeper scars.Good luck.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Excision of acne scars

+1

There are certain types of acne scars that can be treated by excising them.  Wide, depressed scars are the best types to treat with excision and ideally they would heal with a thin, flat scar.  The location of the scar can be important as well as the size of the scar.  I would recommend having a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to discuss this surgical option.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon