I Have Oily Skin and Only Get Acne During the Summer Time. What Are My Options?

Oily skin and acne during the summer.

+1

In order to prevent your acne flares during the summer:

- wash you face frequently (min. 3 times per day) and never leave the gym after a workout without washing your face. 

- use a salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide wash. You may also use an oil control gel containing benzoyl peroxide or glycolic acid. 

- use a light noncomedogenic sunscreen. 

Best to you,  Dr. Bowes

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

You have many options

+1

There are many options for you to decrease the oil on your skin and your acne during the summer time.  There are several over the counter products that contain benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide removes oil from your face and also is antibacterial and anticomedonal (opens up the pores). I would recommend choosing a facial wash that contains benzoyl peroxide 2.5 to 10%. Also, many people develop acne from sunscreens. To prevent one, pick one that is oil free and non-comedogenic.

Laura Rosenzweig, MD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon