Acne Breakout Caused by PCOS?

I clean my face everyday, and I am still breaking out. I used to get one or two and I used Proactiv and it helped. It did not leave the marks on my skin, but I am noticing that I have more break outs, and they are not small. They are cyst-like. I read about the PCOS and I was wondering, are there some signs and symptoms to know if i have the PCOS? Or only a ob/gyn can figure this out?

Acne treatment for women should involve therapy to minimize hormonal triggers

+1

Many women reports premenstrual flare for acne. Often times these patients may experience cystic flare along jawlines and around the mouth. My experience has indicated that this is highly suggestive of excessive sensitivity to androgen. The hormonal trigger can be manifested later in life, in women's late 30's, 40's and 50's as they lose more estrogen each year.

While a workup by an endocrine gynecologist is helpful, most of time spironolactone, a anti-androgen medication (officially used as diurectic for high blood pressure or congestive heart failure) will be quite helpful. Oral contraceptive pills such as Yaz or Yasmin can also be helpful as it contains clinical equivalent of spironolactone. You should see a board-certified dermatologist with experience with spironolactone, Yaz or Yasmin.

Web reference: http://www.drwilliamting.com/Acne_and_Acne_Scar.html

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.