ACL Reconstruction and Liposuction? (photo)

Sooo i fell off of a scooter on 10/13/12 and had 2 meniscus tears that were minor enough to be stitched and repaired, i also tore my acl and had an acl reconstruction as well...they took from my patella tendon and reconstructed it...the recover has been so far so good! however this surgery was on 11/14/12 and i have liposuction of my flanks scheduled for 12/20/12...is this safe? will i be at any higher risk of complications for either surgeries? I don't want to delay my lipo if i dont have to.

Liposuction of Flanks after Knee Surgery

+1

Liposuction of the flanks can probably be performed safely as long as there is no turning done during liposuction.

Liposuction after ACL Repair

+1

You should absolutely be able to have the liposuction. However, be aware that due to your ACL surgery, it may be even harder for you to get around after the procedure. However, there are no additional complications during liposuction as a result of your previous surgery. Best of luck!

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

ACL reconstruction and liposuction

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. There is about five weeks interval between the two procedures. Generally speaking, it should be safe to have the liposuction at that time. However, it is your plastic surgeon and orthopedic surgeon who will decide whether it is safe to have the liposuction without jeoperdizing the knee repair. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Liposuction Surgery Shortly after Knee Surgery?

+1

I would be concerned about performing the liposuction surgery and the potential for “injury” to the reconstructive knee area intraoperatively. Whether you are sedated or under generalized anesthesia for the procedure, your lower extremity may be  inadvertently manipulated ( for example during the turning process) during the liposuction procedure.

In my opinion, probably safer to postpone the liposuction surgery.

Liposuction after ACL reconstruction

+1

I think it would be best to discuss this with both your surgeon and orthopedist.  Good luck in whatever is decided.

Liposuction after knee surgery

+1

that is a great question for your doctor who will be doing your lipo. if you were my patient I would not do a liposuction on you until you have completely healed from your knee surgery. but thats just my personal/clinical suggestion

Misbah Khan, MD

Trauma and liposuction.

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and then your unscheduled operation on the knee. It is possible that you could be a slightly higher risk of certain complications by having surgery scheduled so soon. It is good news that you did well with your first surgery. I would suggest you notify your plastic surgeon and make them aware of this situation. Best of luck - Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD