Achieving Symmetrical Breasts After Capsular Contracture?

I had Breast augmentation and within a year, one breast developed capsular contraction. I had them redone and within one year now, I have again developed encapsulation on only one breast.

Is it advisable to only redo the one side with the problem. The first two surgeries were performed by the same surgeon. Although I went to a renowned surgeon, I am considering going to a different surgeon.

Since I am only redoing one breast, will a different surgeon be able to perform surgery with similar symmetry?

Fixing capsular contracture

+2
Capsular contracture does not discriminate between surgeons, no matter how well known or how good one is. There are certain things that are done during and after surgery to decrease the risk of developing contracture.
Trying to achieve breast symmetry after capsular contracture is difficult but the results are usually a lot better than the contracture.
Once you have developed capsular contracture, the chances that you will develop it again is a bit higher.

Recurrent Capsular Contracture

+1

Hi there-

In situations like yours, the best thing is to try a different approach.... Albert Einstein said that his definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome...

Whether this new approach should involve a different technique or a new surgeon (or both) is up to you. I would recommend that you see a few surgeons to discuss your problem... ask to see photos of patients like you and maybe even to speak to a few former patients.

I have had many patients like yourself and do think that you can be helped, but these problems are definitely more likely to recur in patients who have had capsular contracture in the past.

Armando Soto, MD

Dealing with capsular contracture

+1

Your dilema is to continue to stick with your surgeon or get another opinion. Every plastic surgeon you will talk to has encountered this problem at some time during his/her carreer. Sometimes multiple surgeries are required to , at least, ameliorate the problem. I doubt that perfect symmetry is in thecards for you. If your ijmplants are not under the muscle I would have them switched to under the muscle. A second opinion can never hurt but there are no easy answers here.

Ta Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD

I would operate on both breasts, and try something different.

+1

Hi!

Of course, there is a good chance that you will get capsular contracture a third time.

So, in New York, we would try a different operation, depending on the details. For example, if the breast implants are over the muscle, we would consider putting them under the muscle. But this approach requires operating on both breasts.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Symmetry becomes rare after multiple surgeries

+1

Generally, a capsular contracture is something your body made in reaction to having an implant inserted. If you went to an excellent surgeon, there is likely nothing they could have done to prevent this problem that they didn't already do. Also, the more surgeries you have the less likely it becomes that you will be symmetrical because of scar tissues and the different surgerical experiences each breast has been through.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS