How to Achieve More Projection from Silicone Implants

Had exchange surgery August 2ND and asked my PS to give me back what was lost during mastectomy. I have high profile silicone implants (550CC) Witch makes me same size. I am 5'6 and weigh 128. I noticed the front is wonderful with perfect symmetry, but the profile is not there. What can be done to improve profile? Next month I will be having some fat grafting to accommodate hollow areas, and nipple areolar reconstruction. Solutions?

New implants for mastectomy reconstruction

+2

Thee are new implants that are available to do exactly what you want.  These are the Allergan Style 410 and Mentor CPG.  Two years ago these were not available in the US now you have options.  You may want to return to your plastic surgeon to see what new options he has available to give you an enhanced appearance from your mastectomy reconstruction. 

Breast Projection HARD To Acheive After Mastectomy

+2

Unfortunately, what you are describing is an all too commom complaint after breast reconstruction with an implant.  Even with an ultra high profile implant, many women are still lacking that forward projection, and there is not alot that can be done for that.   Women like the size and shape, but find that the projection is just not there.   If your surgeon did not use a HP implant ( high profile or Style 20 Implant), then you can change to that profile and get more projection, but most already use the HP implants to start out with.  I would check to see what type of profile implant you have, and then discuss this with your surgeon.  Fat grafting can help some depression areas, but really doesn't have a roll in providing more projection in front of the implant.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Natural projection very difficult to achieve after Breast Reconstruction

+1

Dear rhann- as others have said, it is almost impossible to achieve projection after breast reconstruction, no matter what type of reconstruction method is used.  We can get close but that pointy profile is just impossible to get.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

High profile implants provide greater projection.

+1

High profile implants provide the most projection.  If you are looking for more projection and you are already in a high profile implant, choose a larger implant. 

Projection issues

+1

If you feel that you do not have enough projection, you may want to go with a larger high profile implant.

More projection after reconstruction

+1

Breast reconstruction after a mastectomy can be very challenging. The results depend on several factors including but not limited to the following: how much skin is available, the quality of skin, the subcutaneous tissue, the nipple or lack of nipple... Reconstruction can be done with implants, with your own tissue or a combination. It can involve tissue expanders, tissue flaps, rotations, transfers and even microsurgery. For you to have "wonderful perfect symmetry" in front view is excellent. That's a homerun. It sounds like you already have a high profile implant so I would encourage you to do nothing surgically. We always say, "the evil of good is better", meaning don't mess with a good thing.  It may help to try on different bras with more support that can give you a push up and increased projection. Hope this helps.

Chester K. Cheng, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to the breast can help

+1

The breast shape after mastectomy is going to different than the normal breast and implants can not recreate the same shape. Fat grafting can help. Bigger implants are not the answer.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon