Can I Achieve a Natural Looking Result with High Profile Implants?

I had a consultation with a PS yesterday and asked him for a conservative and natural look. I am 5'5, 110lb and ribcage 28" with broad shoulders. He recommended 280cc HP silicone implants placed under the muscle. I am scared to death of HP implants as majority of people say it looks fake. The bottom of my ribs do stick out so I know I do need some projection.. Do you think I can achieve a natural look with HP? (please see photo!)

How to pick shape of breast implants.

How to pick breast implant sizes and shapes:

Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

Web reference:

What IS a "natural" breast augmentation

Having done this for 25 years, I find that the word "natural" is so misused by patients that I don't think they really even know what they mean when they are using it.  Is it the true technical definition of the word ie "natural means what could occur in nature" or is it just saying "I don't want to look like Pamela Anderson"?? Patients use the natural word for both purposes.

My advice is to not use the word "natural" but be very specific about the "look" you want.

1.Do you want upper pole fullness?  Mod plus and HP implants are made for that.

2. Do you want tight cleavage?  Choosing the widest implant that fits your body will give you that.

Ask your doctor these questions.  In my experience, with your starting point a HP gel implant would be exellent but might not look "natural." 

#NaturalLookingBreastImplant Choice

I guess that would involve your concept of what "natural" is, as my patients often describe a different scenario. Your job is to let your plastic surgeon know what you want to look like and their job is to select the best implant.
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Natural look

HP implants do not necessarily look fake.  It is really the size of the implants and the underlying breast tissue volume that you have that will determine that. I prefer HP implants for patients with narrow frames.

Natural look with high profile breast implants

Natural can be difficult to explain to others and one persons 'natural' may be artificial to another. In our practice we use photos, sizing implants, and other methods to help determine breast size and projection. You should focus on the look that you would like, and bring your goals to your surgeon. The surgeon should be willing to use an implant which will help you reach your goal, the result which you feel will be natural for you. Twenty years ago all breast implants were low profile and considered natural. They blended fully with the breast and moved and flowed with the breast. Currently we are in a phase of higher and rounder breast implants, what might have been considered a grade I capsule years ago. They are natural enough for some and many use them. They do allow the surgeon to push up the volume on those with a very slim chest such as yours and allow a fuller augmentation, yet they may not be for everyone. You can have a very nice augmentation with a moderate profile implant, so if you are concerned, make sure that your surgeon know what you want, and what 'natural' means to you.

Please let your doctor use his judgment to give you the best result

There are many options for the augmentation including the incision site,implant size and shape,and the implant position. Your doctor can help you with this based on the body structure ,breast size,  tissue quality , patient desire and his experience. If you want natural look I would agree with the size but i would recommend moderate plus implants submuscular based on the limited evaluation( your picture).

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant profile depends on desired size and patient's anatomy

High-profile implants are designed to maximize volume on a narrow base diameter. In other words, pick the size of the implant you want in consultation with your plastic surgeon, then he or she will determine which profile best fits the base foundation of your breasts. In your case, although I can't make any specific recommendation, it appears that your chest is narrow and the base diameter is small, so even though 280 cc is on the small side it might be a very good choice for you. In general, high profiles are not the most natural look but not everyone agrees on what natural means anyway.

Richard Baxter, MD

Natural looking result with high profile implants

Yes you can get a very natural looking result from using high profile silicone implants in your augmentation. Use a surgeon very experienced with them.

From MIAMI Dr. B

High profile implants and natural look

The real question is what do you consider natural. As I explain to my patients, what you have is a natural look, you just don't like it. Anytime you place an implant, it is by definition unnatural. What most patients really mean is how to make their breasts not look unnatural. Once you describe what you desire then a surgeon should choose the procedure that most closely produces that result. it is not that a high profile implant intrinsically produces an unnatural result or a low profile produces a natural result. it depends on what you begin with and what your goal is.

In general, with breasts that are quite small, implants should be lower profile. The more the implant comprises your final breast, the more unnatural you will look. Your natural look will be quite a small range. The more you keep the width of the implant hidden behind the width of your natural breast, the less unnatural it will appear

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

High profile and natural look

A natural look is a metter of opinion of course but your plastic surgeon needs to stay within the boudries of your breast base width and if you want a little more volume, that is the only way to go. Ask your plastic surgeon to allow you to size with the exact size/style/type of implant in a sports bra. This is really the best way to do it other than using one of the new 3D imaging systems but nothing is perfect.

Dr Edwards