Can I Achieve These Breasts from What My Surgeon Has Suggested? (photo)

My surgeon in Thailand has suggested: polyurethane, round shaped, high profile, 325 and 350 cc implants to be placed subfascial using the breast fold incision. NB: I requested the polyurethane cover implants. I have added a photo of my breasts and a photo of the breasts I VERY much desire. I am in love with them! (image found on the internet-public domain) Thank you :)

Polyurethane implants are long gone in the USA

+2

First, you need to consider that these implants have been gone from the US market since about 1989 and ask why that is.  Second, you need to fall out of love with the result photos because you would need a lift to get anywhere close to that and will have scars that the result photo doesn't have.  Each person is unique and you can't dial up a result you want from somebody else's photos.

Polyurethane implants?

+2

I would exercise caution when travelling abroad for cosmetic surgery.  In the US, polyurethane implants were withdrawn from the market due to safety concerns.  That apart, it may be difficult to achieve your aesthetic ideal without a mastopexy, or lift.  You may want to arrange a consultation with one of the qualified Gold Coast plastic surgeons down the road from you. 

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

U cannot achieve the result you desire without a breast lift

+1

Thank you for your question. Because you have breast ptosis or sagging you cannot achieve the desired result in the photograph without a breast lift in addition to implants.

Polyurethane implants are no longer used in the United States because of significant problems.

I strongly suggest you consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and has an excellent reputation in your community. Foreign travel for breast augmentation can present serious difficult issues.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

You need to reevaluate your proposed surgical plan

+1

Proceed carefully with the proposed surgical plan. Your objectives will not be met without a mastopexy. Moreover, polyurethane implants were withdrawn from the market in the United States due to safety concerns.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Polyurethane implants

+1

No certified plastic surgeon in the US will use polyurethane implants.  They were taken off the market in the US in the late 1980's due to migration of polyurethane.  Plastic surgery in Thailand can be very unpredictable.  I am currently treating a patient who went to Thailand from Houston, developed breast infections, which required both implants to be removed.  She paid $14,000 to have this done in Thailand but it could have be done in the US for less than half that price.  Complications frequently cost more to treat that the original operation.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Photos are unrealistic

+1
Given the shape of your breasts, an augment will not produce the result you are seeking. You probably need an augment and lift. After the PIP scandal in France, I cannot emphasize enough that implants used in unregulated markets can be dangerous and do not meet the standard of care. Who will take care of you in Australia if you develop complications? Medical tourism can be risky and not cost effective in the longrun. These implants have been taken off the US market because of complications. That says it all. There are many qualified plastic surgeons in Australia and I suggest that you see at least one in consultation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Can I Achieve These Breasts from What My Surgeon Has Suggested?

+1

I am not sure whether and why you would be traveling from Australia to Thailand for your surgery, and if it is because of cost, I hope you fully understand what you are sacrificing and how vulnerable you may be should problems develop after you are back home.  Fixing problems is more difficult and more expensive than avoiding them in the first place. Nevertheless, other issues involve the use of polyurethane implants, which were taken off the market in the US as their safety had not been established, and apparently they were made using industrial grade (not medical grade and medically tested) polyurethane.  Also regarding your goals, you must realize that your breasts are starting out very different from the patients in the photos you show...you have a low nipple position that may require a lift with additional and more conspicuous scars in order to obtain a better contour more like that in the photos.  Also, it appears that you have some asymmetry with a mildly constricted right breast with a higher inframammary fold and a deficient lower pole, and some work with need to be done at surgery to lower this fold and try to achieve a lower pole more like that of the left breast.  Your expectations should be realistic, and you should make sure that you have had at least one very thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Travel to Third World for Plasic Surgery May Be Risky

+1

I agree with Dr. Aldea that traveling to foreign countries  for  plastic surgery may be a choice that you will come to regret.  There is no way to validate credentials of the surgeon ,safety of surgical facility or the quality of the  products used during the procedure. Costs are likely to be cheaper because their standards are lower. If you have a complication after leaving Thailand, you will not have access to your doctor to take care of you. I also agree with Dr. Rand  that you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you have your heart set on looking like  some one else's photo.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast Augmentation with Polyurethane Breast Implants

+1

Whil Australia is teeming with great Plastic surgeons I do understand the attraction of cheaper Cosmetic surgery overseas. However, I would advise your exercise a lot of caution. Polyurethane implants were taken off the market in the US because of multiple safety concerns and they will never be used here again. Before subjecting yourself to such implants and life long expensive corective revision surgery, please do more reading on this topic.