Will Acetylcholine Injections in the Cheeks Dissolve Radiesse?

Hi Drs...I just wanted to ask if Acetylcholine injections in the cheeks help dissolve the filler. My cheeks look bulky after 3 years of Radiesse injections (well I'm not sure if it's really Radiesse). A board certified plastic surgeon advised to inject Acetylcholine right in the filler, he said it helps dissolve the bulky filler. Does it have any side effects, complications?

Radiesse cannot be dissolved by injections

Unlike Restylane, Radiesse cannot be dissolved by a pharmaceutical. It will dissolve over time. I would caution against any injections in an attempt to dissolve the Radiesse and encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist with any concerns.

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Acetylcholine should not dissolve radiesse

I am not aware of any available and safe medicine to inject into Radiesse to dissolve it.  Hyaluronidase is used to dissolve Juvederm or Restylane but not Radiesse.  Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter that Botox blocks to decrease muscular activity and should not dissolve Radiesse. Some doctors have injected sterile saline or local anesthetic under pressure to break up nodules.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Reverse Radiesse?

There is not a known way to reverse Radiesse injections.  There has been anecdeotal evidence that ultrasound can hasten Radiesse's resorption.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

845 N Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611

No to acetylcholine

There is nothing that has been tested and proven to dissolve Radiesse. Do not let anyone inject acetylcholine into your face for this. There are substances that will dissolve Restylane and Juvederm. There are some anecdotal reports of repeated injections of this, hyaluronidase, dissolving Radiesse but there is no good chemical explanation nor are there any studies,  as far as I know, to explain why this might happen.  It will dissolve on its own. Be glad you didn't choose a permanent filler. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

521 Montgomery Hwy
Vestavia Hills, AL 35216-1876

Acetylcholine and Radiesse

I am not aware of any studies that show that acetylcholine injections will dissolve Radiesse.  Radiesse is typically dissolved by the body over the course of twelve months.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

711 Troy Schenectady Road
Latham, NY 12110

Acetylcholine Injections to Dissolve Radiesse? Don't Do That.

I am not sure why any reputable Physician would recommend Acetylcholine injections as a means of dissolving Radiesse.  Radiesse is made out of calcium hydroxylapatite and there is no scientific basis for what has been recommended to you.  Please get another opinion or just wait, because the Radiesse will dissipate in 9-18 months.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

9407 Cypress Lake Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33919

Acetycholine and Radiesse

No, Acetycholine can not be used to dissolve Radiesse. This is the reason that most physicians rather under inject than over inject. But it will dissolve with time. Dr. Behnam.

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

2825 Santa Monica Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90404

Acetylcholine Injections to Dissolve Radiesse

Acetylcholine injections will not dissolve Radiesse. Fortunately Radiesse is a temporary filler that will dissolve with time.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Radiesse cannot be dissolved by anything injected into the body

It takes the body approximately 12 months to dissolve Radiesse naturally.  Until then, there is nothing to do but be patient.

Acetylcholine is a signalling molecule between nerves and from nerves to muscles in both the central and peripheral nervous systems.  It has many different actions.

Poisons that inhibit cholinesterase (the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine) and lead to accumulation of acetylcholine in the body can be dangerous to one's life.  I do not recommend any acetylcholine injections.

Please consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience with Radiesse.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

1 Diamond Hill Road
Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922

Nothing Will Dissolve Excessively Injected Radiesse

Will AcetylCholine injections dissolve excess Radiesse or mystery filler?  No, no, no.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

16311 Ventura Blvd
Encino, CA 91436