If I Have Only Been on Accutane 3 Weeks, Can I Have Laser Liposuction?

I want to have smartlipo on my outer thighs, but am on Accutane. I have only been on it 17 days and was wondering if I could get the surgery within the next week, would it be safe?

Liposuction and accutane

+1

There is a lack of scientific evaluations about wound healing in the fatty compartment and dermis after Accutane compared with surface skin healing after resurfacing, but as liposuction is an elective procedure for cosmetic conditions, it is prudent to complete wait the duration after the Accutane is stopped prior to having the liposuction. The amount of time to wait is quoted differently by different physicians but many will say to wait a year. Check with the surgeon with whom you consult about the liposuction.

Liposuction should not be performed for 6-12 months after acutane

+1

The evidence for poor wound healing after acutane is poor despite the consensus of opinions of doctors that it is so. Nevertheless, it is not worth the risk to patients who may obtain a poor result and it is not worth the risk to physicians who may get sued.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

+1

Simple answer is NO! I would refuse to operate on any Accutane user due to the potential severe internal scarring, especially with Smart Lipo. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. BLinski

Accutane and surgery

+1

Accutane is used for patients with recalcitratnt acne to help them through those difficult times., however it does affect wound healing.

You should not have any invasive procedure while on accutane

+1

Accutane is great for clearing up acne, but it causes severe changes in the skin and reduces the ability of the skin to heal.  You should not have any invasive procedure while on accutane. SmartLipo is an invasive surgical procedue - despite what the "cosmetic surgeons" will tell you.  It is not worth the potential helaing problems and infections for an elective surgical procedure. Many plastic surgeons would also tell you that you should wait 1 full year after stopping accutane before having any procedure.

Matthew Schulman, MD