Accutane vs. Vitamin A Supplements

Hi, I'm contemplating whether to do another course of accutane as it's the only thing that has ever worked to clear up acne. I know there are potential side effects so wanted to find out if taking Vitamin A supplements in capsule form could be used as an alternative to going back onto Accutane. I understand there is danger of Vitamin A toxicity so wanted to find out how Vitamin A supplements compare to Accutane capsules in terms of dosage/amount of Vitamin A. Thanks

Vitamin A vs. Accutane

+4

Although going on a course of accutane involves visits, bloodwork and potential side effects you have already been on it.  In my experience patients who have gone on a second course of accutane had a much easier time with fewer side effects than they had with their first course.  The problem with taking vitamin A capsules is that it can lead to toxicity and there is no protocol with dosage and blood monitoring,  I would not recommend taking vitamin A capsules instead of Accutane.

Long Island City Dermatologist

Accutane versus Vitamin A supplements

+1

The amount of Vitamin A supplements needed to try to obtain the effects of Accutane would be toxic.  Please don't do it.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist