Accutane and Rhinoplasty

I was hoping to have a rhinoplasty procedure done in the fall, I'm thinking for an alar base reduction but I've not had a consultation. The problem is, I have an ethnic nose with thick, oily nasal skin. As of right now, I am using Differin but I was wondering if using Accutane would thin out my skin before surgery to help my doctor achieve the best results. For rhinoplasty surgery in my case, would it be more beneficial to start using Accutane before or after my rhinoplasty?

Accutane and Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, I do not like to perform chemical peel and facial resurfacing on patients that have been on Accutane electively for at least 6 months and for over a year especially as this can cause excessive scarring. I would wait at least 3-6 months for operative procedures as this can impair wound healing significantly.

Accutane and rhinoplasty

+1

While Accutane may indeed lower the oiliness of the skin, it will not thin the dermis. The indication for Accutane is for control of severe acne and it should be used only for that purpose. It is probably best to start your Accutane after the rhinoplasty procedure.

Accutane and rhinoplasty

+1

The use of accutane and having any surgery is really contraindicated until the Accutane is stopped.  Usually you have to wait 6 months to 1 year after ceasing use of Accutane. It can impair wound healing.

Accutane and Rhinoplasty

+1

The use of Accutane would be  beneficial before rhinoplasty on a patient with thick oily skin. As other surgeons have stated, wait 6-12 months after medical therapy before having surgery. Having said that, there is some debate about the use of this drug because of potential complications with Accutane therapy. Discuss this with the physician prescribing the medication.

Accutane and scarring

+1

Unless we are looking at an emergency trauma type operation I would recommend waiting at least 6 months and probably a year after being off Accutane.  For things like laser or dermabrasion you may even want to wait 18 months to allow the sebaceous glands to return to normal.  While it is great for acne it is bad for wound healing. Don't go on accutane before a rhinoplasty especially if you are having an alar base resection.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Accutane and Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi, 

Using Accutane before your surgery may help thin your skin and decrease the oiliness.  You must wait at least 6 to 12 months after discontinuing your Accutane before having surgery.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Accutane and Rhinoplasty

+1

ANY surgery whether a rhinoplasty of a skin lesion excision are CONTRA INDICATED with the use of Accutane. This  is due to severe scar formation.

From MIAMI DR. B

Accutane may delay rhinoplasty

+1

Accutane is a very powerful medication that can slow the healing process.  Many surgeons will advise waiting 6 months to a year after going off Accutane before performing elective facial plastic surgery.  If you are planning to have alar base reduction this fall, then you might want to wait until after the procedure before trying Accutane.  Good luck!

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon