How Long After Accutane Treatments Can I Have Fraxel Treatments?

I was on a 7 month course of Accutane, 30mg throughout the course. I want to know, how long would I have to wait before I can get Fraxel treatments? What could happen if I get it too soon after? I know that time periods may vary according to different doctors, but what's the shortest time frame after finishing an Accutane course?

Many physicians will wait one year after Accutane is stopped

+1

For many years, even aggressive dermabrasion was done without regard to a patient’s Accutane treatment course. Scarring can occur after such resurfacing procedures, very rarely, but it does occur and without Accutane having been taken by patients.

When there were a couple of reports of scarring in patients that had both resurfacing and had taken Accutane, it was then decided to wait six months after the Accutane was completed before performing resurfacing. Now many physicians wait one year but the true cause and effect of Accutane and scarring is not known.

You should be off Accutane 6 months before undergoing any procedure

+1

There is increased risk of scarring of the skin with procedures involving lasers, peels, even eyebrow waxing.  It is best to be cautious and wait 6 months.  Other procedures that involve needles, such as Botox, pose less of a risk after Accutane.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Wait at Least 6 Months After Stopping Accutane Before Fraxel Laser Treatment

+1

Hi CU,

Wait at least 6 months after Accutane before having Fraxel laser (or any other laser) treatments.  You run the risk of permanent scarring if you treat too soon.  Be patient. 

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD