Accutane to Thin Skin for an Ethnic Rhinoplasty?

I want to have a rhinoplasty done. I understand that this will be difficult as I have oily, thick skin. Would it be beneficial, realistic for my doctor to prescribe Accutane to help to thin the nasal skin? If so,would it be more beneficial to begin accutane before or after my rhinoplasty treatment?

Accutane Treatment in Conjunction with Rhinoplasty

+1

Accutane is prescribed to treat oily skin and acne, but use of this medication is very debatable because serious complications are possible.   Accutane will delay post-operative healing; therefore wait at least 6-12 months after treatment  before having rhinoplasty surgery.

Accutane not for pre rhinoplasty treatment

+1

I would not recommend accutane prior to surgery as it affects healing and will not thin the skin.  Your skin thickness is basically what you are born with and will not be changed.  The accutane will diminish activity of the oil glands and that's how it works to treat acne (in a n utshell).  Speak to your plastic surgeon, I am sure he/she would not want to to use this as a way to treat thick skin in anticipation ofimproving your nasal result.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.