Accutane for Clogged Pores, Whiteheads and Blackheads?

I do not really get many large pimples; but I have clogged pores with whiteheads, blackhead and the occasional small pimple. Can going on a third course of Accutane help with my problem or will it actually make it worse? I have tried a lot of different topical solutions and using Differen now, but does not really help much.

Clogged pores, whiteheads and blackheads

+3

I agree that Accutane is not very effective for this type of acne - in fact, in my experience, even retinoids such as tretinoin cream or tazorac may not result in significant improvement in these kinds of pore-clogging lesions. These lesions may need to be manually extracted by your physician or an experienced aesthetician.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Accutane for Clogged Pores

+2

I have found that many patients with clogged pores, whiteheads, and blackheads DO improve with Accutane (though not always). The cause of the clogged pores or comedones is the stickiness (on a microscopic level) of the oil you produce and way your skin cells in the follicle mature, and Accutane addresses both of these problems.  I have had dramatic results  (and a few failures) treating this type of acne with Accutane.

Todd Minars, MD
Miami Dermatologist

No need of Accutane at this stage

+1

I think that at this stage accutane should not be used & it should be reserved for severe acne.

Combination of Benzoyl per oxide & clindamycin, chemical peel & may be small doses of oral doxycycline can help in this regard.

Please discuss with your dermatologist for proper assessment & better management.

M. Khawar Nazir, MBBS, MS(Derm)
Pakistan Dermatologist

Accutane Not Very Effective for This Type of Acne

+1

This would be an off label indication for acne since it does not sound like you have severe cystic acne. Whatsmore, accutane is not particularly effective for this type of acne, ie comedonal acne.

I would suggest either changing to Tazarac or if you are not on Differin gel 0.3 switching to that. Topical salicylic acid along with Beta peels would help also. Find a good aesthetician who will perform a full pore cleansing with extracion. Find one who likes their work and will spend a lot of time with you.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist