Accutane and Fatty Food?

The insert and my Derm. said take my Claravis with a "fatty" meal or food. I see people asking this ALL the time. what HEALTHY fat would be "ideal" to take the meds with. Many people say Peanut Putter (PB) but most PB is sugar and lard ladden. I understand everyone is different but I think MANY people like me would appreciate a few good choices of fat while still being eating healthy meals.. What about a hard boiled egg or nuts or ??? HELP please.. and THANK YOU!

Accutane and fatty food

+3

You are right. Traditional isotretinoin, like Claravis, works more effectively when taken with fatty food. What you are supposed to eat it with would astound the common person - 6 pieces of bacon plus 4 eggs, etc. It's pretty terrible and unhealthy. There is a new version of isotretinoin called Absorica and it doesn't require the fatty food intake portion like the other drugs. You may need to get prior authorization through your insurance for this medication, but for many people it is well worth it. If you can't do that, or must stay on Claravis, take the medication with your largest meal of the day, and try to incorporate something with fat in there - oil, peanut butter, etc.

Isotretinoin and fatty food

+3

Yes, there is a lot of buzz these days about taking isotretinoin and fatty food.  When taken on an empty stomach, the absorption of the drug is much reduced.  As this is a weight-dosed drug, failure to take with adequate fat may result in under dosing and increased risk of relapse.  There is a new isotretion out called Absorica which is designed to have increased absorption over the generics even when not taken with high fat.  If you are taking the brand Claravis, it's important to take it with fat.  Real peanut butter is just peanuts.  It contains good fat.  This would be a good option.  Also olive oil and tofu.  Remember, plant fats are cholesterol free.

Dina D. Strachan, MD