Safe to Drink Alcohol While on Accutane?

I went out drinking last night and I'm on Accutane, should I worry? I'm on 60 Mg of Accutane a day, if this is the only alcohol I consume while on the Accutane do I have anything to worry about?

Alcohol while on Accutane

+3

The reason a person should not drink alcohol while on accutane is because this medication is metabolized by the liver. Accutane itself can cause mild liver dysfunction so if you drink alcohol on top of taking the medication, the liver is taking another "hit" so to speak. I would strongly advise against drinking alcohol while on Accutane. That being said, I have had certain patients ignore my advice. They do not appear to have suffered any long-term liver damage. I would not worry about what you have done, but I would not let it happen again.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Officially no. But.....

+1
As Dr Chen has eluded, this drug is metabolised by the liver, and so is alcohol. The product guidelines states no alcohol, and from a legal point of view, we have to point this out to patients. The flip side, is that if you are sensible, and providing you have no liver problems such as viral hepatitis or are on other liver -toxic drugs, taking a drink or two every few weeks should be OK, once again providing your dermatologist monitors your liver whilst you are on Oratane/ Roaccutane/ Accutane. 

Moderation is the key. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist