How Soon Can Accutane Be Used After Rhinoplasty?

I've used Accutane before and want to use it soon after Rhinoplasty. But Accutane can really dry up your sinuses. Would that be bad for the healing process after rhinoplasty? Can I start it 3 weeks after rhinoplasty?

Accutane after Rhinoplasty

+1

I recommend waiting at least 6 weeks. I may temper my response depending on what was done during your operation. For example, if you had an open rhinoplasty with multiple cartilage grafts I would recommend waiting a little longer. Talk to your dermatologist or physician who has managed your accutane therapy.

Accutane therapy after Rhinoplasty

+1

You are probably safe to initiate Accutane therapy for acne at 4 weeks after rhinoplasty. Although this may sound conservative, the reasoning is that you need to give the inside of your nose ample time to heal after surgery.

Most patients still have scabs and crusts visible inside their nose about 4-6 weeks after their rhinoplasty providing a septoplasty and turbinate reduction was done on the same day. The dryness encountered with Accutane would simply necessitate increased nasal saline use. You may also want to check with your doctor about using Aquaphor inside your nostrils and on the front part of your septum each night at bedtime. This can really keep the inside of the nose moist and comfortable during Accutane.

SO earlier may be OK, but I'd wait 4 weeks to reduce any chance of inappropriate healing or nose bleeds. Best of luck!

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon