I Accidentally Pulled out a Suture 5 Days After Septoplasty Surgery

Hello, I had septoplasty surgery on Friday July 8th. I had mucus and blood coming out of my nose for about 3 days and it stopped. Now I have a bunch of dried mucus blood in my nostrils. 5 days after surgery I was picking at the dried blood/mucus to clear up my nostrils and I accidentally pulled out some sutures that were attached to one of the solidified blood/mucus I had in there. I did feel it when it came out, but otherwise it does not hurt and I am not bleeding. Is this a problem?please help

Pulled a stitch out 5 days after Septoplasty.

+1

5 days after a septoplasty and since there was no bleeding associated with the stitch coming out there's probably no harm however, you should go and have the surgeon examine the inside of your nose ASAP to be certain.

Pulled suture ... ooops

+1

Generally speaking it is bettter to try to clean your nose with hydrogen peroxide  on a q-tip and use ocean spray and or afrin  in your nose post operatively.  The most important thing is too talk with your plastic surgeron as soon as you can. At 5 days most sutures are ready to come out. However, your surgeon may have placed some special sutures that need to stay in place . You just need to check with him about that the one that came out ito be sure it is not a problem.

I hope that this informatioin has been useful to you. Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon