Would I Know if I Accidentally Pulled out a Stitch from Rhinoplasty?

I was cleaning my nose gently with a q tip (one week post op) and I noticed a little plastic (looked like a thread) stick straight out, I wasn't in any pain and it didn't hurt but I'm worried I dislodged it or something. Is this possible? Would I know if I pulled it enough to cause damage?

Accidentally Pulled out a Stitch from Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for your posting. When questions arise during the early postoperative period, always check with your surgeon who is in the best position to advise you about your particular case. In general, those sutures visible inside the nose immediately after surgery are absorbable and intended to dissolve over a short period. Although it is uncommon to see damage caused by manipulation of those sutures, It is generally advisable not to pull on them. Signs of damage may include any worsening or persistent pain, bleeding, or change in appearance. Good luck.

+1

Different Rhinoplasty Surgeons have different post Rhinoplasty care instructions.  Mine include no Q tips, fingers, or any other cleaning methods for at least 4 months post Rhinoplasty.  In you particular case, you should ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon this question as you are still under his post-op care.  Generally speaking, I can say that if there was no pain involved, pinching or pulling sensation, the stitch may have already dissolved and was ready to come out.

Sutures and rhinoplasty

+1

Internal nasal sutures usually dissolve and after about a week, they really do not do much.  Most likely it was a chromic suture.  If you are concerned go see your surgeon.

Accidental Rhinoplasty Stitch Removal

+1

Stitches in the nose typically absorb and the rest are removed about 1 week after rhinoplasty so it is unlikely you did any harm but discuss this with your surgeon.

Accidentally pulling a Nose Stitch?

+1

We normally close the incisions inside the nse with dissolving sutures. At a week after surgery some of these stitches fall out anyway.  I woud not worry about it.