Accidental Bump of Botoxed Eye Area

I had Botox injections for my crow feet around my eyes. Accidently, my youngest child bumped the corner of my left eye with the corner of his book. I have a bump the size of a pea. I iced the area, but its still swollen. Should I be concerned?

Bruises or hematoma after trauma

+2

In the situation you describe, where you experienced trauma after botox injection, the symptoms you're experiencing are not likely related to the botox and are most likely represent a small hematoma (collection of blood).

Massage should help. Watch the area closely. If it appears not to be resolving after a few days or is enlarging or if you have any visual changes you should see a physician for evaluation.

Not likely related to Botox; Probably a bruise

+2

This is most unlikely related to the botox.

The eyelid area has deleicated little blood vessels that are easily ruptured when injured and can cause small little hematoma's swellings that will disappear over time with little side effects.

You did the best by immediately applying ice and pressure.

Avoid aspirin and motrin like products.

Some people feel arnica montana creams/ointments expidite the disappearance of the bruise.

This may take 7-10 days to disappear. In the meantime you can use camouflage make-up to conceal the bruise.

It sounds fairly minor and should respond with usual conservative measures and time.

+2

As you described your injury, it sounds fairly minor and should respond with usual conservative measures of icing and gentle massage. The lump is probably a small amount of blood which should absorb over the next two-three weeks.

Arnica Montana is a natural herb that is useful for hastening the absorption. If no improvement is seen, it is always prudent to be evaluated by your treating physician.

Thanks for your question.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Nope, But It Reminds Me of a Joke

+2

Hi MJL,

Nothing to worry about, just watch out for "Good Night Moon".

So what do you tell a Botox patient with two black eyes?.....Nothing that they haven't heard two times before. A little humor, very little. Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Try not to worry

+2

It sounds like the bump you are describing is from the book hitting your skin and this should go away with a little time. It is doubtful that it will have any effect on the Botox.
Botox usually takes about 5 days to take full effect. The best way to tell is to look in the mirror after the bump goes away and try to squint your eyes. You should see that it is harder to do than before, although there will still be some movement in this area. both eyes should respond the same when you squint and you should see less deepening of the lines that form the crow's feet.

Good Luck

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

You should be fine

+2

MJL,

Your timeline is unclear in your question. However, I assume that you had Botox earlier in the day and later in the day is when the corner of your eye was bumped. The bump is likely swelling or a hematoma (small collection of blood) under the skin which is unrelated to the Botox. You did the right thing by placing ice over the area. It may take a few days for the swelling to go down. The Botox, most likely, should be fine. In any case, you will just have to wait and see. It will take 3 to 7 days before you see the full effect from the Botox.

Good luck. I hope this was helpful.

David Shafer, MD

Hitting Face After Botox

+1

You should not worry about the area hit by your child's book.  The little bump is probably a small bruise that will look a little purple in a few days, then go away on its own.  Occasionally, we see similar pea-sized bumps develop from the injection of Botox itself!

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Botox near the eye followed by trauma will heal.

+1

The small bump you got from your child in the Botoxed area should heal fine. It will not affect your Botox results, but if you did get a significant amount of Botox in the area, the periorbital muscle that goes around the eye to squeeze it shut tight can be weakened, which actually may allow swelling to remain in the area longer than it otherwise would. This muscle is what makes our eye puffiness go away after we wake up in the morning. This is not dangerous, but it is good to be aware of.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

How to treat a small bump after Botox

+1

It sounds like you may develop a small bump or bruise after your child bumped in the area that had been treated with Botox. This should not affect your results. The best thing to do is to place cold compresses on to this area and wait for the swelling and bruising to go away on their own.

For more information on Botox or to schedule an iConsult, please visit us online at: 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Do not be concerned about bump after Botox.

+1

Hi.

It just sounds like you got a liitle hematoma (collection of blood) near your Botox injections.  The bump will go away, and should not affect your Botox treatment.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)