Should I See a Plastic Surgeon While I'm Healing from Accident Lacerations (to Help Reduce Scarring)?

I Was in an Accident One Month Ago and Had a Laceration on my Forehead, Between my Eyes, Requiring 16 Stiches. The Doctor removing the stiches recommended mederma after the stiches were removed, which I have been using. (the cream with spf 30) Should I see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon while I am healing? Is mederma the best product, I have also heard about silicone sheets. I am 53 years old, by the way.

Scar after accident

+1

You are very early in your post injury program.   Our office likes some different scar creams.  Don't smoke.  Keep it out of the sun.  All that said, scars often look worse at 4 months and then better at 10 months.  Most plastic surgeons won't do scar revision until a year after the injury.  It sounds like you are concerned about the scarring.  A trip to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon about your particular scar sounds like a good idea.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures

"Should I See a Plastic Surgeon While I'm Healing from Accident Lacerations (to Help Reduce Scarring)?

+1

Regarding: "Should I See a Plastic Surgeon While I'm Healing from Accident Lacerations (to Help Reduce Scarring)?
I Was in an Accident One Month Ago and Had a Laceration on my Forehead, Between my Eyes, Requiring 16 Stiches. The Doctor removing the stiches recommended mederma after the stiches were removed, which I have been using. (the cream with spf 30) Should I see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon while I am healing? Is mederma the best product, I have also heard about silicone sheets. I am 53 years old, by the way
."

Without a photograph, I cannot really advise you on what your best course of action may be. Accidents result in many DIFFERENT skin injuries, which in turn are repaired differently in the ER and heal differently in people of different races.

There is NOTHING to be lost by seeing a Plastic surgeon at this early point to advise you on how your wounds are healing, how to best modulate the healing process and consider a visit in 6-8 months to discuss potential scar revision, should you be unhappy with your results.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea