Am I A Candidate For Breast Implant Revision? (Photos)

I am 1 1/2 years post op. I was very unhappy with the look of my natural breasts and considered this surgery more reconstructive than cosmetic. I wanted sloped breasts that move and feel like the real thing. I went with 225cc silicone unders (dual plane) and a circumareolar incision (had puffy areola). I like how they look from the front but other positions makes them look SO fake. I feel like the implants are not placed under the center of my breast but my doctor says everything is normal.

Breast Revision

+1

See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and be evaluated.  When an implant is placed, the implant only amplifies what is present at the time of surgery.  There is some modification that can be done, but the anatomy you come with is very influential in what you have when you are finished with the surgery.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Revisionary breast surgery

+1

It appears that  you have too much volume above your nipples and your nipples are too low. Also you have a wide gap between your breasts.  I believe that you would benefit from a medial repositioning of your implants (lateral capsulorrhaphy and medial capsulotomy) as well as further elevation of your nipples (mastopexy). It is important that the plastic surgeon you choose has considerable experiance in revisionary breast surgery. Make sure he or she can show you dozens of similar results.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision Surgery

+1

The pictures you have provided are helpful and based on your photos it does look like the implants are sitting laterally and not right under the breasts.  I think that you do have some options for improving the appearance and symmetry of the breasts and a consultation with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon is a good place to start, especially one that has experience in revision procedures and can provide you with some before and after photos.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Wide space after augmentation may be possible to correct

+1

Hi ElizabethJ,

Thank you for sending the photos; it is very helpful.  I understand what you are saying about the space between your breasts.  The breast implants should be placed under the breast tissue; if the patient has a wide space between their breasts before breast augmentation, that space is usually unchanged after breast augmentation.  However, the patient is more aware of this space.   The implant cannot be placed closer to the center because it is very likely that the edge of the implant would be visible (because there is no breast tissue to cover it).   It is impossible to know if this applies to you without examining you in person.  As far as having a natural slope, it may be possible to change the style/fill of implant to give you the natural look you want.  If you are having revisional surgery, look into the Allergan style 410 implants and the Mentor CPG implants.  They are form stable, silicone implants, in an anatomic (tear drop shape).  These give a very natural result and have the advantage of low leak rates.  They are available through plastic surgeons participating in the FDA study evaluating these imlants.  The best thing to do is consult with your plastic surgeon and see if the things you do not like can be changed.  I would also bring pictures of breasts that you like so you can very clearly communicate your likes and dislikes.  I would also have at least 2 consults with different plastic surgeons to discuss my options.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Revison breast augmentation

+1

It is hard to completely evalute you from a photograph but they are helpful.  You should be evaluated in person.  The smaller the implants and the more breast tissue that you have, usually the more natural they will look.

Revision augmentation candidate

+1
Hello, Yes, I believe improvements can be achieved in your case with revision breast augmentation. You'll have to have a very thorough and specific discussion with your plastic surgeon about your goals and he/she should be methodical in their approach. It appears that the implant size symmetry can be better as well as implant pocket creation and implant width. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Implant Revision

+1
Dear Elizabeth, Your photos are helpful in providing you advise but nothing takes the place of a face to face consultation. It may be possible to fine tune your result with a pocket revision or a different profile implant. That kind of decision should be made thoughtfully. Plastic surgeons often use the phrase that better is the enemy of good. Any revision surgery needs to have a low risk to benefit ratio. You may want to seek a second opinion with an experienced surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast augmentation revision

+1

Thank you for sending pictures. It would be very interesting to examine you in person and understand your concerns about appearing “fake” in certain positions. For example, it would be interesting to see if the implants move off too far to decide when you lie down. Pre-operative pictures would also be helpful.

Based on this  personal examination, there may be ways to improve your results.  For example, it looks like areola  scar revision may be beneficial. You may also want to try to communicate your  surgeon again pointing out specific  concerns. If you find there is still “failure to communicate” a second opinion with a reputable, experienced board-certified plastic surgeon may be helpful.

Keep in mind also, that it is very rare for patients to feel that their breasts feel like  “the real thing ”that you describe in your question. Best wishes.