What's an Acceptable Amount of Time to Wait Before a Mommy Makeover after the last Child?

I will be 34 when my third child is born and had a saggy tummy in between all my pregnancies. I want to move on from that and feel tight and together again. When do most women get mommy makeover procedures? What treatments and procedures are recommended first to get me on my way to feeling beautiful and youthful again? Non-invasive or surgical, I'm up for them all.

Timing of mommy makeover - wait several months after breast feeding

+2

A mommy makeover surgery often entails some sort of breast procedure (augmentation and/or lift) and some sort of body contouring procedure (e.g. CoolSculpting, liposuction and/or tummy tuck).  Thus you should wait until your breasts to return to their non-lactating baseline and also for your weight to stabilize.  If find you are actively loosing weight  after pregnancy, then it is a good idea to also wait a little.  It doesn't hurt at all to do some research and find a board certified plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with.  Good luck!

Mommy Makeover layover

+2

After having your last child there are things you can start immediately to make yourself a better surgical candidate. 

First off, stay healthy.  This means eating right and beginning a small amount of exercise early.  Nobody wants to keep putting on weight during this stage.

Most women need about 4 months to allow their bodies to stabilize after giving birth.  If you're breast feeding you'll want to wait about three months after you stop to allow your breasts to return to their new size, and shape.

Although this waiting period can seem to take forever, it's time well spent.  Your surgeon wants to see your pre-op body as it really is, not still temporarily altered by the pregnancy, which could effect the results.

Donald F. Roland, MD

How long to wait?

+1

In general, I suggest about 6 months after pregnancy - to see how the tummy looks, and about 6 months after you finish breast feeding - to see what shape the breasts are in.

This allows us to plan the mommy-makeover more accurately, and to determine whether a breast lift is needed, or what type of tummy tuck is required, and whether liposuction would be beneficial or not.

All the best!

Thomas Fiala, MD

+1

3-6 months after being done breast feeding is a reasonable amount of time, but if there is anticipated further weight loss, I would wait longer.  There is usually not much for the correction of most mommy issues that non-invasive techniques can help with.

Julio Garcia, MD

Timing

+1

Your weight should be back to your goal or pre-pregnant state and I recommend about 3 months after delivery as the earliest time to have a tummytuck.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Several months should separate your mommy makeover procedure from your last childbirth

+1

After you're finished having children, I would recommend waiting about 3-6 months after your last child in order to let your body recover.  C-sections, weight gain/loss, breast volume change, and other variables may affect this waiting period.  However, when you're ready a full mommy makeover (tummy tuck and breast lift/augmentation) is usually required to get your body back into pre-childbirth shape.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Mommy Makeover after childbirth

+1

The core procedures of a mommy maker are breast lift with or without implants and tummy tuck. Other procedures include liposuction and labiaplasty.

I recommend a six month wait period after having your last child before proceeding.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

What's the best time for Mommy Makeover

+1

The answer to your question is two fold:

1. For the breasts, it's best to wait until 3 months after you have finished breast feeding and when your body weight has stabilized.  A change of more than 10 pounds in your weight can affect the surgical results of your breast lift/ augmentation. The problem is usually more with losing weight rather than gaining weight.  Breasts sag more when you lose weight.

2. For the tummy or areas of excess fatty pockets it is best to wait at least 3 months for the tissues to recover from their stretched state and for your body weight to stabilize.  This might mean that you are back to you pre-pregnancy weight or that you are now consistently at a weight which is above your pre-pregnancy weight, but your new body weight is stable from week to week in a 5-7 pound range.

Ramin Behmand, MD

Wait at least 6 months after last child to have Mommy Makeover or Tummy Tuck

+1

It is best to let your abdominal tissues recover and tighten naturally and lose extra "baby fat' before having a Mommy Makeover or Tummy Tuck. Generally 6 months is a minimal time period , one year is even better.

If you are having a Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift then certainly wait at least 6 month after you are no longer nursing your baby.

Waiting this extra time will allow your body to recover and will definitely improve your chances for an excellent result and speedier recovery

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

When should I have my mommy makeover after my last child? Help!

+1

The procedure mommy makeover has been designed to correct the changes that occur with pregnancy associated with the breast and abdomen. In abdominoplasty or tummy tuck combined with a breast augmentation with or without lift is the usual combination for mommy makeover. When you're weight is stable usually after three months or so a mommy makeover is a reason procedure following your last child. Many patients state that their tummies were never flat even in high school. A properly performed abdominoplasty can not only give you the result back prior to having children but in many times even enhance your prepregnancy body shape and contour. Dr. Joseph P Hunstad

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon