I Have Acanthosis Nigricans (AN) and Want Lollipop Breast Lift + Implants, How Can I Avoid Dark Scars?

I am African American in my 20s with tuberous breasts and have AN under my breast folds. I am not obese or have any other underlying medical conditions associated with AN. I plan to have a lollipop breast lift and then implants put in 6 mos later to improve my overall breast appearance.Will the AN impact my potential scarring? What can I do to help prevent dark/discolored scars? Will the lift help lighten the AN overtime? Would the operation do more harm than good?

Tuberous Breasts and Scarring?

+1

Unfortunately,  there is no surefire way to prevent hypo-or hyperpigmentation of the incident lines. However, most patients who have a diagnosis of tuberous breasts and have a nicely  executed breast augmentation/mastopexy procedure are very pleased with the results of surgery nevertheless. The improvement in size, shape, breast position, and often symmetry outweigh the downsides associated with the scars.

Best wishes with your procedures.

Scars and Acanthosis Nigricans

+1

The likelihood of getting darker scars in the infra-mammary area are higher in your case due to the amount of friction that occurs there. A low glycemic, no-refined sugar diet helps along with appropriate glucose control in people that are pre-diabetics, but there is no 100% prevention. There are no medical studies on the use of hydroquinone for post-surgical scars in AN patients I am afraid. Possibly some YAG laser sessions might help after the scars are healed. 

Julio Garcia, MD