Do you absolutely need to wait 6 months before seeing a Rhinoplasty Revision? (photos)
Doctor Answers 8
Two months after septorhinoplasty when can I have a revision.
- After looking at your photographs I agree that you could benefit by a revision. The reason to wait is because of the increase vascularity in the tissues that slowly subsides over 8 months to a year. Also the tissue planes are much more difficult to identify if an early revision is undertaken. I would use this time to seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty and in revision rhinoplasty. Best wishes!
Have a question? Ask a doctor
Revision rhinoplasty by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.
Swelling and Difficulty Breathing After Rhinoplasty
Thank you for your question. Swelling can take up to a year or longer to resolve after septorhinoplasty, particularly in the tip area. Usually it is best to wait until the swelling has completely resolved before undergoing revision surgery. At two months it is still very early to determine what your final result will be. Sometimes if there is an obvious structural issue that is clearly not going to resolve with swelling, revision surgery can be done earlier.
Regarding your breathing, it is possible that you still have some swelling or inflammation of the tissue inside your nose related to the surgery. You may benefit from nasal sprays or having your nose cleaned out in the office.
Please follow-up in person with your surgeon for an exam to get a better idea of what is causing your concerns and the best timing for revision.
You might also like...
Do you absolutely need to wait 6 months before being examined for revision rhinoplasty?
1) 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time.
2) Patients that have tip work, thick skin and/or an open surgery will be more swollen.
3) Swelling can give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities.
I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions in the meantime, as he/she knows the details of your surgery. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.
You are still swollen
Braeathing and revision rhinoplasty
1) Give the appearance of asymmetry, or a crooked appearing nose.
2) Give the appearance of irregularities.
If you see another physician at 2 months post-op, they will likely tell you that it would be best to wait at least 6 months after surgery to evaluate the nose. In general, any revision work isn't performed until about one year after surgery. I would recommend giving it some time to see how you continue to heal. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.
Revision Rhinoplasty Evaluation
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.