Do you absolutely need to wait 6 months before seeing a Rhinoplasty Revision? (photos)

2 months after septorhinoplasty and I feel like the surgery did not come out right considering my nose is still crooked and I can't breathe as good as I did before surgery. I would like to see another dr to either reassure me it will get better or tell me how they can help.

Do you absolutely need to wait 6 months before being examined for revision rhinoplasty?

+2
2 months is still soon after surgery, and there will be swelling present that affects the appearance of your result. In general, it important to keep the following things in mind regarding nasal swelling:

1) 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time.

2) Patients that have tip work, thick skin and/or an open surgery will be more swollen. 

3) Swelling can give the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. 

I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions in the meantime, as he/she knows the details of your surgery. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

You are still swollen

+2
I usually do not recommend an evaluation for for a revision before 12-18 months.  You will need to  bring your operative notes to whomever you see.  You nose is still too swollen in the tip to be properly evaluated.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Two months after septorhinoplasty when can I have a revision.

+2
  • After looking at your photographs I agree that you could benefit by a revision. The reason to wait is because of the increase vascularity in the tissues that slowly subsides over 8 months to a year. Also the tissue planes are much more difficult to identify if an early revision is undertaken. I would use this time to seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in rhinoplasty and in revision rhinoplasty. Best wishes!

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

+2
As you have experienced, rhinoplasty is not easy to do well.  The anatomy is very complicated.  Based on your photo, you are correct in wanting another operation.  The reason to wait 8 months to one year is for the scar in the skin and soft tissues to fully heal properly.  That will allow a more dependable outcome from the revision operation, provided that it is done well.  I would not go back to your original surgeon, because the chances that he will do better on the revision is poor.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon, like myself, with a lot of rhinoplasty experience.  Good luck!

Tae Ho Kim, MD

Braeathing and revision rhinoplasty

+2
Yes, you still have deviation. As for your breathing there are many factors that can contribute to it.  Best to be seen in person, but you do have to wait 6 months to a year for revision.

Swelling and Difficulty Breathing After Rhinoplasty

+2
Dear Jadamski78~

Thank you for your question. Swelling can take up to a year or longer to resolve after septorhinoplasty, particularly in the tip area. Usually it is best to wait until the swelling has completely resolved before undergoing revision surgery. At two months it is still very early to determine what your final result will be. Sometimes if there is an obvious structural issue that is clearly not going to resolve with swelling, revision surgery can be done earlier.

Regarding your breathing, it is possible that you still have some swelling or inflammation of the tissue inside your nose related to the surgery.  You may benefit from nasal sprays or having your nose cleaned out in the office.

Please follow-up in person with your surgeon for an exam to get a better idea of what is causing your concerns and the best timing for revision.

Amy Hsu

Amy K Hsu, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

+1
2 months is still soon after surgery, and swelling will influence the appearance of your result. In general, swelling can:

1) Give the appearance of asymmetry, or a crooked appearing nose.
2) Give the appearance of irregularities.

If you see another physician at 2 months post-op, they will likely tell you that it would be best to wait at least 6 months after surgery to evaluate the nose. In general, any revision work isn't performed until about one year after surgery. I would recommend giving it some time to see how you continue to heal. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty Evaluation

+1
For consultation purposes, it can be helpful and reassuring to see another doctor to know that you are on the right track and things will settle down as time goes on.  I have seen a number of patients through the years for this purpose.  Some have gone on to be happy while others have indeed wanted to proceed with revision.  The actual surgical revision should take place closer to the year anniversary of the initial surgery.  It takes a full year for the swelling to subside and for enough healing to take place to get the best shot at a good outcome.

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon