Terrified of Liposuction Dents, Ridges, Lumps, Loose Skin

Hi-I'm 5'8" 128 lbs. Always had this belly jutting out and have been thinking of lipo for years. Done so much research, but (vaser, smart, regular) I am still SO confused. When I touch the area, honestly it feels fibrous. I am terrified of being left with all the dents, ridges, lumps, loose skin people talk about. Of course then I'd rather leave it alone. I tried Coolsculpting (and while to be fair it's not a month yet---I can't see it doing a darn thing). Your best advice please! Thx

Liposuction Methods, Technology and Consutations

+3

Quit searching for the technology and start searching for the plastic surgeon in  your area that does a lot of liposuction, is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is a Fellow of the American College of Suegeons (i.e. a real surgeon), and has privileges to do abdominal liposuction in a major hospital as well as an office facility.  Major hospitals (JCHS Certified) do not mess letting non surgeons operate in their operating rooms.   Then having identified 3 surgeons that meet these criteria, go for consultation.  There are so many well qualified surgeons as I have described above.  Do your homework.  Do not be lazy.  How many liposuctions does the surgeon do in a year?  Can they prove it.  See photos.  Take a list of questions into your consult.  Do NOT consult with anyone other than the doctor that will do your surgery.  Some offices use sales people to push product.  You are not buying a second hand pair of shoes here.  Accept only the doctor.  The doctor learns about you during the consult.   If you are not satisfied with the answers ...leave.    If met with hostility or arrogance...leave.   You get it.   You are in control.   And in addition always assure there will be an MD anesthesiologist at your surgery,  all first class places have MD anesthesiologists in attendance at every case to guarantee your safety.  Good Luck.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Lower abdominal protrusion: liposuction, mini tummy tuck or both?

+2

From the photos and without an examination, it would only be conjecture as to what you would need. However at 5'8" at 128lbs you may have laxity of your lower abdomen for which a mini tummy tuck would be the most effective treatment . Obviously, if on the other hand this protrusion represents just fat, then liposuction would be the treatment. Of course, if it is a combination of the two then both can be performed.

How do you arrive at the right solution? Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who should be able to diagnose the problem and make an appropriate recommendation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy tuck or lipo

+2

This is one where exam is needed.  Without evaluating the abdomen you can't tell if there is a diastasis - which appears to be significant - or if this is just fat.  It appears to me that while there is some excess the major problem is the separation especially in the lower abdomen.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon as you need to have the right procedure to get the best correction.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of abdomen or tummy tuck or both

+2

You need to have an examination for anyone to tell you if you have enough fat above the abdominal muscle wall to remove with liposuction or if your muscle sheath of fascia has weakened allowing your rectus abdominus muscle to stretch forward needing an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).

Ronald Shelton, MD

You will get better result from lipo and mini tuck combo

+2

The pictures that you posted show a lot of lower abdominal laxity and stretched out skin. Laser lipo or lipo will help you but you have too much of skin laxity to get a great result. I would recommend liposuction and tummy tuck . you can check my web site for examples.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for liposuction

+2
From the photos you seem like an excellent candidate for liposuction. You need a closer examination of the belly to determine if the swelling is due to fat only or weak muscles. Have you had previous surgery or kids? I would recommend you wait at least 4 months before undergoing lipo. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Tumescent liposuction should give you a great result.

+2

Hi.

1) It's hard to be absolutely sure just by looking at pictures. But I think that skilfully performed liposuction of your  abdomen will work well for you. The skin is elastic and contracts, and ridges and lumps are due only to bad technique.

2) You need tumescent liposuction; this is probably what you mean by "regular". According to a recent survey (see my blog), this is what the vast majority of experienced, board certified plastic surgeons use.

3) Vaser and Smartlipo are marketing concepts, with no science to back them up.  And you already know about Coolsculpting (we decided not to offer this in our practice, because we don't want disappointed patients).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction

+2

Not having the benefit of an examination, it appears as though liposuction would yield a good result for you.  It is outpatient, quick recovery (return to work the next day).  There is a possibility that an abdominoplasty may be required (lower abdominoplasty combined with liposuction of the upper abdomen).  This will depend on your examination (i.e. looseness of the abdominal skin, how much your muscles have spread apart, etc.)  I am not in the camp that believes that anything else is superior than just liposuction.  The non-invasives don't do the trick.  Everything else will add cost, but not any better in terms of result.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Stubborn lower abdomen

+2

You didn't say if you had kids so I will assume the muscles are okay.  You need to wait 6 months to see the full effect of your previous treatment but I am not an enthusiast about that therapy.  Traditional tumescent lipo done by the best surgeon is what you need.  DO NOT FALL for the laser lipo hype and don't let them take too much fat and get all up under the skin as you wil then have the destroyed abdomen you fear.  Conservative liposuction is the only way to go!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy treatment

+2

Without an exam it is hard to say, but if it is mainly fatty tissue, you may be a great candidat for liposuction.  Sometimes it is also muscle weakness.