Ablative Co2 on Face. What is the Normal Recovery Period? (photo)

I decided to undergo an ablative Co2 treatment 4 weeks ago. I was told recovery would be 10 to 14 days and I am still red, swollen, have crusting blood spots. It is also still hard to move my mouth because my face is so tight. My Plastic surgeon says this is normal for very fair people but this just seems like a long recovery and I don't think I will make a rapid improvement anytime soon. Is this normal to take so long to recover?

Recovery after a CO2 laser can range from 3 to 14 days.

+1

Recovery for a fully ablative CO2 laser resurfacing can take up to 2 weeks before the skin stops oozing and heals over.  Newer generation CO2 lasers can give you even more impressive results with as little as 3 to 5 days of healing (and the healing phase is not painful).

What you are describing here and what I can see by the photograph is not typical of the recovery that you should expect.  I am concerned that you may be experiencing some side effects that could have potentially very serious consequences.  If the photo above is after four weeks of healing then you need to have some intervention very soon to prevent possibly permanent problems.

My oppinion is based on the photograph and your description.  Please know that photographs can be misleading and that you really need to be seen in person to make an accurate diagnosis and develop a treatment plan. In my Salt Lake City plastic surgery office I perform a high number of CO2 laser resurfacing procedures and am familiar with the treatment of adverse events as well.

You need to be seen as soon as possible!  I would be happy to see you in my office or you need to return immediately to your physician to get something done ASAP.  If you would like to make an appointment in my office please call (801)571-2020

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon