Abdominoplasty For Loose Skin After Extreme Weight Loss? (photo0

there is lose skin around my umbilical as a result of extreme weight loss. hv been dieting & weight training over years but this lose skin never left me even at the lowest body fat %. I had consulted 2 different plastic surgeons. One suggested a full tummy tuck and the other that he could perform an incision around my belly button remove excess skin around umbilical & that he could perform in local without a big bikini cut. Could you please suggest which one would b best or any other option?

Skin only abdominoplasty

+2

Since your muscles are so easily visible, I can tell you don't need rectus diastasis repair - that part brings the muscles together tightly - which is the painful part of the abdominoplasty. You would benefit hugely from a skin only abdominoplasty. Make sure your scar ends up lower than your underwear line and is straight (in men this is important as most swimsuits and underwear are low and straight). Don't do the umbilical only resection, the skin gets gathered and looks weird. Congrats on all your hard work.

Abdominoplasty For Loose Skin After Extreme Weight Loss?

+2

Umbilicoplasty will do virtually nothing in your case.  I would recommend a short scar tummy tuck.  This will remove a huge portion of skin, have a low scar, and will allow your abdomen to look the way it should.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Best Abdominal Operation after Significant Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of your accomplishment.  Based on your history and photographs, I think you will benefit from tummy tuck surgery. I would not offer you an operation involving ‚Äúremoval of excess skin around the umbilicus".

Make sure you are seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation.

Loose skin, peri-umbilical tummy tuck

+1

I like to reserve a peri-umbilcal skin excision for small amounts of rippling around the umbilicus.  This technique has the drawback of not being able to eliminate all of the pleating of the skin around the umbilicus.

A mini-tummy tuck with inferior advancement of the umbilicus should correct most of the loose lower abdominal skin.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS