Does It Appear I Need an Abdominoplasty to Get Rid of my Stomach? (photo)

I'm 5'8", and 32 years old. I was heavy, pushing 250 at my worst. I slowly lost weight with diet change and physical activity. This last two months, I got serious about dropping weight, and began hitting the gym five to six days a week for an hour and a half a day. Weight training, cardio. As can be seen, I don't have a lot of loose skin, but enough. I don't want surgery, but also don't want to find out this is just gonna be hanging there. Still losing weight. Could this minimize naturally?

Abdominoplasty following weight loss

+1

Excellent job on the weight loss.  In looking at your photos and considering your age, I think you should have good elasticity in your skin.  That means that your skin should spring back quite well.  So you may do very well with liposuction for contouring.  If you have a small amount of skin redundancy then one of the liposuction techniques that adds energy, such as Thermage, may give you a great result.

I would continue to work on the weight loss and when you have either reached your goal weight or have gotten to where your weight is stable then see how much laxity you have.  Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon and stay away from the quickie liposuction clinics.  Keep up the good work!

Does It Appear I Need an Abdominoplasty to Get Rid of my Stomach?

+1

You may need a tummy tuck when your weight loss journey is complete, but you do not need one now.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Abdominoplasty Following Weight-Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and making a commitment to get in great shape.  It is not unusual after significant weight loss (you do not indicate how many pounds you have lost) to have some loose skin.  The exercise you have been doing to tighten your abdominal muscles is giving you a very nice result. I would recommend that when you achieve your final weight loss goal, if you are still bothered by excess skin, to seek out an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who will be able to make recommendations on how to help you achieve your final goal for your body.  CoolSculpting is a non-invasive procedure to help you lose small amounts of fat without surgery, but it will not help with loose skin.  In that case, an abdominoplasty or mini abdominoplasty might be necessary. Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon