Can my Abdominoplasty Be Done Primarily Through my Belly Button?

After a twin pregnancy (I stayed in shape and have gotten back my prepreg weight) I have relatively severe diastasis recti and a herniated belly button. Also, the skin surrounding my belly button is distorted and stretched out. I know that the common procedure for repair is an incision from hip to hip. I am not opposed to the scar but would like my excess skin to be removed around my belly button so that the damaged skin is removed and not the good skin between my hip bones. Is this possible?

Tummy tuck through belly button scar

+2

Dear 5697anon:  After having experimented with skin removal through a belly button scar on several fit and deserving patients, I can emphatically say, the answer is NO.  Judging from your photo, you are in great shape and should have an outstanding result from conventional abdominoplasty.  Your umbilical hernia, common in mothers of multiples, will be fixed as part of the tummy tuck procedure.  The low abdominal scar will become a non-issue, obscured by your beautiful new body.  Just be sure you are are through with child bearing before proceeding, and if you smoke, stop at least one month in advance.

Best, Steve Laverson, MD

My Abdominoplasty Be Done Primarily Through my Belly Button

+2

Great photo, great question. Easy answer is NO! It would leave a scar around your belly button- not a good idea. Nice try though. Seek in person opinions. 

Belly button abdominoplasty not a possibility

+2

Your suggestion is a very good idea but just not possible. A hernia repair can be done through a small umbi scar, and a diastasis repair through a larger one, but trying to remove skin centrally and close it up results in a lot of bunching up. The idea is similar to a Benelli breast lift, which has a larger diamter circle which is a very important difference.

Richard Baxter, MD

Full tummy tuck would probably be better for you

+1
Unfortunately, doing this would leave you with more noticeable irregular scarring and bunched up skin. You would probably get results that better match your expectations with a full tummy tuck. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to confirm which treatment would be most suitable for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tummy tuck cannot be done through bellybutton

+1

Thank you for your question. You will need a full tummy tuck to remove the excess skin that is troubling you. To attempt removing the skin through the belly button incision would create a horrible scar and be unsuccessful.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

No, an abdominoplasty can not be done through an umbilical incision

+1

Your idea is appealing but it is just not a good idea.  A hernia repair can be done through a small umbilical scar but trying to remove skin centrally and close it up results in a lot of bunching up of the skin toward the middle and will not look good.  . 

Periumbilical tummy tuck

+1

Hi,

No.  Stick with the standard, low positioned scar with your tummy tuck and with your body, it should be a knockout.

Don't cut corners.  You will get a corner cut crappy result.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Will A Circumumbilical Skin Resection Give Me A Good Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for this excellent question.  Basically, what you are asking is can you imbricate all the loose skin around the belly button on a post pregnancy abdomen to give you an abdominoplasty similar to the curcumareolar breast lift described by Louis Benelli.  Unfortunately, the answer is NO. 

I have seen several patients who had attempted circum umbilical abdominoplasties with unfortunate and very unattractive results. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

+1

The have a great deal of excess skin. There is no way to adequately redrape and remove this extra skin through an incision in the belly button alone.  It is most effectively redraped inferiorly through an incision beneath a bathing suit line (the "hip to hip" you describe, although the actual length depends on how much loose skin you have).  the stretched out belly button is made smaller and brought through a new smaller opening as the skin is pulled over the BB, and your diastasis or muscle separation is repaired prior to closure.  If you have an umbilical hernia, as it appears you may, then it is repaired at the same time to give you a natural looking "inny".  Any attempt to remove all of this extra skin by gathering it into the belly button hole will give you a deformity for which there is no good correction.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Belly Button Abdominoplasty

+1

Abdominoplasty by removing skin from around the belly button has been described. The results don't  look good,  and the problems from them are hard, if not impossible to fix.

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon