Abdominoplasty Options: Mini Vs Modified?(photo)

my PS told me that i didn't have enough skin laxity above the bb - so the traditional abdominoplasty will result in a too high of a scar. For me that takes full TT off the table. So now I need to decide between options 1 and 2 (see picture). My #1 priority is diastasis recti repair. Which of the 2 options will provide more optimal muscle repair? Will the transverse scar size and position be comparable in both options?

Abdominoplasty Options: Mini Vs Modified

+2

Either approach will be able to diastasis recti repaired. However, you will be balancing the scar versus a slightly better result. Only, an in person consultation and exam will determine which option is more appropriate for you.

What type of Tummy Tuck to go with?

+2

Dear Lucine,

Either option will enable you to have the diastasis recti repaired but the key is within the location(s) and the size of the scar(s) you will have.

If you are looking for a smaller scar to live with, the mini tummy tuck is the way to go but with a lower belly button position.

Nonetheless, it is hard to determine the laxity of your skin without physical examination and side view.

I encourage you to have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons of ample experience in the field so you can make an informed decision.

Thank you for your question and for sharing good photographs.

Best of wished to you.
Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

May I suggest another option, option 3. Endoscopic tummy tuck (it combines the benefits of a full tummy tuck and mini tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos.

I recommend another option, option 3.  Endoscopic tummy tuck...this is a mini tummy with and additional incision around the belly button.  This incision is used to place an endoscopic camera or other retractor.  The tummy skin is undermined all the way up just like a full tummy tuck, so that both the upper tummy muscles and lower tummy muscles can be tightened.  The amount of skin removed is the same as a mini-tummy tuck and your belly button stays in the same place with a circular scar around it.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Mini tuck vs vertical scar modified tuck

+2

Hi, since you seem to have a pretty high belly button, another option to consider is to have a mini tuck along with transection of the belly button (without incision around it), along with the needed upper muscle repair. this will provide the necessary lower excess skin excision with a shorter horizontal scar, no vertical scar and a normal looking belly button, just a few cms lower. it is difficult to give an accurate opinion without physical examination of the actual skin laxity, but it is something to consider. The other option is to go with the small vertical scar modified tummy tuck if you dont mind the small scar, rather than a minituck with no upper muscle work.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Options for Tummy Tuck

+1

I personally would do a mini with a lower and shorter scar than is marked on your photo. There is no profile view, but tightening the abdominal wall to the umbilicus one or two stitches higher should work very well.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Tummy tuck options

+1

You will probably have a better result and be happier with the modified; even though there will be a small vertical scar.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Tummy tuck question

+1

Great pictures and sounds like you are very well informed of the options by your doctor. If you do not mind the vertical scar then option 2 makes you tighter and will allow the doctor an easier job of doing the full muscle repair. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Mini vs modified

+1

I think that you could approach this many ways. I agree that a full tummy tuck is not a good choice for you. I can not tell without a side view how much extra skin is present on your lower abdomen and how much laxity. But I would probably recommend a smaller incision like for a mini-abdominoplasty, undermining to the umbilicus. no incision around the umbilicus, but a full muscle repair.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty Options: Mini Vs Modified?

+1

I like option # 2 as the best way to correct the laxity and diastasis recti you have. Great question and posted photos. 

Mini vs Traditional Tummy Tuck

+1

Either a mini or what you are referring to as a "modified" tummy tuck would be appropriate choices.  Both of those procedures allow for good visualization of the muscles to repair them and fix your diastasis. 

The choice you have to make is the tradeoff between having a lower belly button or having a small vertical scar beneath your belly button.  That is really a decision only you can make after talking with your surgeon about the options.  A side view of your abdomen would help in deciding which of the two choices would give you the best contour after surgery.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS