Abdominoplasty/mastopexy Recovery Time?

I am a 53 y.o. healthy (non-smoking) female, no sig med prblms, except hx stage 0 melanoma (1999) & GERD w/BMI 26...(hoping that GERD will go away as BMI gets lower than 23)..I would like an abdominoplasty (virgin belly) AND a mastopexy simultaneously. I am a CRNA in a pretty busy little community hospital. I have not done plastics in years so don't know how much things have changed. Can both be done at the same time now? What is shortest amount of time til I get back to work? Thank you

Abdominoplasty/mastopexy Recovery Time

+2

Probably not too much has changed!

This is a common combination procedure, so long as your surgeon can complete it in an acceptable amount of time (under 6 hours, for sure, preferably under 4).

The rate limiting part for recovery is the tummy tuck. Most patients doing physically light work can be back in 10 days. Ditch diggers back in 6 weeks.  CRNA??-probably two weeks  provided you don't have to move the patients other than supporting the head. 

Thanks for your question and best wishes. 

Recovery From Abdominoplasty/Mastopexy

+1

Thank you for the question. It is not uncommon for multiple procedures to be done at the same time. I try to keep the time under anesthesia less than 6 hours. The number of procedures and the type of procedures one can do will depend on the overall health of the person. Do they have any comorbidities (health problems) and if they do how well  are they controlled? It does not seem unreasonable that a mastopexy and an abdominoplasty could be carried out under the same anesthetic.

Return to work will be determined by the amount of physical exertion needed. If a patient works at a computer or has duties that do not require lifting more than 5 lbs, then it is not unreasonable to return after 10 to 14 days. If heavy lifting is needed then you will need 6 weeks prior to returning to work. In your line of work the limitation to returning to work sooner rather than later will be whether you need to move patients or not.

Good luck.

Recovery time for an abdominoplasty with mastopexies

+1

Hello and thank you for your question! As mentioned by the other surgeons, an abdominoplasty with bilateral mastopexies can definitely be done at the same time.  I will usually limit my patients to no heavy lifting (no more than 10-15 pounds) for 6 weeks following your procedure. Depending on your nursing duties, I would recommend taking off at least one week, if not two.  Another limiting factor will of course be how quickly you can discontinue your pain meds. Best of luck to you!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

+1

It is very common for mommy makeovers to include both breast and tummy procedures. Your surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate for a combined procedure based on your health status (past medical history) and your physicial exam. In addition, your surgeon will determine if an overnight stay at the hospital is warranted. After surgery, your pain should be well managed with 1-2 oral pain pills every 4-6 hours. All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck). Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  In terms of returning to work, I tell my patients they can return to a desk job 10-14 days after surgery. As a CRNA, you likely have a very busy schedule.  I'd likely recommend 2-3 weeks off.  Give yourself enough time to recover.  Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his staff. Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures. I'm sure you'll love your results.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Abdomioplasty/Mastopexy recovery time

+1

These are two procedures commonly performed at the same time. The mastopexy should not play a major role in your recovery.  If your surgeon performs intercostal nerve blocks at the time of the surgery even less so.  The key factor is the abdominoplasty and specifically muscle tightening.  Pain pump and valium may both help to minimize this component of your recovery.  I feel 2 weeks should definitely be adequate but, I describe a general anesthetic as running a marathon unprepared.  Expect to feel as though you ran out of gas.  Don't let your first day back be overwhelming.  If at all possible try to ease your way back into work.  Once you are out of your dressing and into compression, warm showers also help to relax your muscles and get you off the valium. Lastly, be forewarned, watch out for constipation.  Consider a laxative before surgery and stool softener/laxative after.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and mastopexy

+1

Abdominoplasty and mastopexy are commonly done together as one combination surgery.  The recovery time is generally 1-2 weeks before returning to work, and another few weeks before strenuous activity can be done.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon