Can Abdominoplasty Correct my Waist Inconsistency Due to Scoliosis?

One side of my waist goes just straight down and the other side is curved due to my leaning to one side. I'm hoping that with abdominoplasty that can be at least partially be corrected.Also need removal of redundant skin on belly, and tighten ab muscles.I am 5'6" weigh 135, am 62 and ex-marathon runner.Kind of in good shape.Used to be much better and its now time for abdominoplasty.Finally!!

Abdominoplasty and Scoliosos

+3

Abdominoplasty will not make your waist appear symmetric.  That's because your asymmetry is structural, from your bone shape.  Abdominoplasty will make your overall waist smaller, will remove loose skin from your abdomen, and will tighten the muscles, but it will not change your overall waist contour. One side will still look more straight than the other.

Tummy Tuck and Scoliosis

+2

Regarding: "Can Abdominoplasty Correct my Waist Inconsistency Due to Scoliosis?
One side of my waist goes just straight down and the other side is curved due to my leaning to one side. I'm hoping that with abdominoplasty that can be at least partially be corrected.Also need removal of redundant skin on belly, and tighten ab muscles.I am 5'6" weigh 135, am 62 and ex-marathon runner.Kind of in good shape.Used to be much better and its now time for abdominoplasty.Finally
!!"

A Tummy tuck WILL narrow the waist, flatten the tummy and remove excess skin but it cannot make a waist which is asymmetric because of scoliosis be symmetrical. Only surgical correction of the scoliosis can correct the asymmetry.

Dr. Aldea

Scoliosis and tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+2

Clearly the abdominoplasty will reduce redundant skin and improve or correct a rectus muscle diastasis. However, it is unlikely to correct the contours created by your skeletal condition. This

Waist after Tummy Tuck

+1

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon