Should I Get an Abdominoplasty Before a Mastoplexy?

I am a 24 year old male and lost about 150lbs through causing loose skin. I had hoped to do both a mastoplexy and adominoplasty (no vertical scar) at the same time but my insurance did not approve the abdominplasty and my finances will not permit both. I'd prefer to do the chest surgery. I believe I read something about getting the tummy tuck first though because it may pull on the chest and alter the results of the mastoplexy. Does it make a difference which procedure is done first?

Which procedure to do first?

+2

Thank you for your question.  I usually tell patients to do  what bothers them the most.  As long as you have a well experienced plastic surgeon who understands your goals and can show you results from patients he/she has taken care of, you should be fine.

Order of Surgery

+2

I agree.  The order does not really matter as long and you and your surgeon are on the same page about what surgical procedures you are planning on having.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Abdominoplasty or Mastopexy First?

+2

It really soes not matter which you do first if your surgeon is skillful. Do the one that is most important to you first.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Can be done either way with precautions

+2

If you want to do the chest surgery first as a separate procedure, go ahead.  As long as your surgeon takes the precaution of leaving a WIDE band of indissected attached tissue between the chest and the abdomen, there should be no significant shift of the chest skin downward.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Timing of mastopexy and abdominoplasty following weight loss.

+1

I agree with all that has been said by my colleagues. The sequence of these procedures depends on which area creates the most daily hassle. Many women find that lax breasts can be more easily manged with a supportive bra whereas large abdominal flaps of loose skin are harder to hide under normal clothing. Hope that helps

Laurie Casas, MD

Timing of combined abdominoplasty and mastopexy in a male patient

+1

From your description of losing 150 lbs, you certainly have extensive loose skin.  If you do the mastopexy 1st and then the abdominoplasty, the looseness of your skin will cause the nipple to descend and adversely effect the outcome of your mastopexy.  I would definitely recommend doing the abdominoplasty 1st.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Timing of procedures.

+1

My recommendations are to do what bothers the patient the most. The impact of the abdominoplasty on mastopexy incisions are more concerning in women due to pulling an anchor scar lower on the chest wall and making it visible. In men, this scar is almost always visible and therefore not as much of a concern.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

24 years old male, lost 150 pounds, should I get an Abdominoplasty before a Mastoplexy?

+1

If finance is an issue for doing both surgery at the same time, then do what bothers you the most first.  Make sure to consult with your plastic surgeon prior to your surgery, and talk to him or her about your priority. Make sure you understand about the post operative instructions for the surgery.  A surgery may go well, but if the post-op care is not done properly, then the result may not be what you expected.  I hope this help your decision making.  Best of luck to you!

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Mastopexy or abdominoplasty, which do I do first?

+1

The decision as to which of these procedures to undergo first is a very personal one and really up to you. It is also often reasonable to do them at the same time provided your surgeon is comfortable with this.  Regardless of which you choose, your ultimate result should be the same.

Kathleen Waldorf, MD, FACS

Mastopexy and tummy tuck can be done in either order or at the same time.

+1

Both can be done at the same time. If finances are an issue, you can pick the one that bothers you most.  It is okay to have a mastopexy before having a tummy tuck

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS