Abdominoplasty with Liposuction - When Do Complications Occur?

When do complications develop after the surgery is performed. When are you out of danger after this is performed?

Abdominoplasty and liposuction

+1

Certainly performing multiple procedures at the same time can increase the risks of complications. I personally have found that when combining these two surgeries, my patients drain more and they are a slightly increased risk of seroma formation.

When can complications occur after tummy tuck

+1

Typically complications occur after tummy tuck within the first few weeks.  Wound healing issues and infection are usually seen in this time and can be treated if diagnosed promptly.  Also, blood clot formation in the legs (Deep Vein Thrombosis-DVTs) can develop days to weeks after surgery and needs to treated immediately.  It's important that you be seen by your surgeon regularly after surgery (day after, week after, month after) to evaluate your wound and look for any signs of complications.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Complications can occur at anytime

+1

Now, what do I mean by that.  Complications are grouped into immediate, early and late.  Early we are concerned with the health and safety of the patient especially things like pulmonary embolism and venous thrombosis which can be life-threatening, and the viability of the flaps.  Late complications are those of the end result like scarring, irregularities pain etc.  This should be discussed with your doctor far in advance of any planned surgery.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Timing the risks of tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Complications may occur intraoperatively and extend outwards to 3 weeks post-operatively. Thereafter the risk of complications from combined surgery generally diminishes, in my opinion.

Complications after tummy tuck- the clock is ticking...

+1

I've noticed most serious wound healing issues arise around post-op day 12-14 -- typically this is when the wound is structurally at its weakest. Most patients are 'out of the woods' after about 30 days.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

First 7-10 days

+1

This is a very general question and will take a long time to cover all the complications that can happen. The majority of the complication can happen during the first 7-10 days.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon