Can Abdominal Sutures Cause Irritation Years Later?

I had an umbilical hernia repair and abdominoplasty almost 2 1/2 years ago. I am having dull pain on the right half of my abs. My entire abdominal area hurts when I sneeze, laugh or throw up. I experience some pain when exercising, especially running. My surgeon believes it is the sutures he used to secure the mesh. Why would this happen years later. I never had any issues before. He tried injecting a steroid, but it did not help. Will I have to get the sutures removed?

Abdominal Discomfort Years After Combined Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

+1

Any implantable foreign material on your abdominal wall always has the potential to be a source of irritation. Whether it is a large knot from the permanent sutures holding the mesh in place and whether this is from a fold in the mesh or separation from the fascia are very likely causes of your present abdominal issues.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Pain years after an abdominoplasty

+1

It would be unlikely that sutures would cause this problem years later.  If mesh was used it means that your fascia was in poor condition and additional re-enforcement was needed.  You should be examined by your physician to exclude other more serious conditions such as a hernia.  

Perhaps pseudobursa with or without infected sutures

+1

Thank you for the question.  Sutures themselves would not likely start irritating your body 2 years after your procedure unless there was another source present such as a seroma/pseudo-bursa or some low grade infection.  If the discomfort is consistent/persistent and/or getting worse you and your plastic surgeon may want to evaluate the need for an imaging study such as a CT scan.  This may provide enough information to be able to determine if conservative care vs surgical exploration is the best route.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: http://scottsdaletummytuck.com

+1

There is a possibility that you have a hernia and I would recommend a CT scan of your abdomen. Since you have mesh, scarring could also be causing some discomfort.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon