Options for Abdominal Surgery Scar Revision?

What options are available for scar revision or would a Mini Tummy Tuck work on my scars? I had childhood leukemia and nearly died. I had to have exploratory surgery, but I am very unhappy with my scar.

Would scar revision and steroid treatment help, lasers? Or would I be better off getting a Tummy Tuck when after I have children?

Abdominal Scar Revision Scar Options

+2

I agree with Drs. Placik and Rand. There is no point in revision either scar now. Both scars can be removed and the tummy can be nicely tightened with a standard abdominoplasty. This operation is best deferred to after you completed your family.

Dr. P. Aldea

Scars on the abdomen

+2

After children, you could have a nice tummy tuck and remove both scars and convert them into one scar in the lower abdomen.  For now, I'd wait.  If children are no where in the near future and you really want to do something, you can do the TT now but might need to repeat it later after kids.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Treatment of abdominal scar

+2

It is good news that your treatment was a success. Given the current and relatively minor problem, by comparison, the options for improvement are limited

As you have suggested, I would recommend deferring treatment until completion of childbirth. It is likely you could replace both scars with one that is located on you lower abdomen and potentially concealable beneath a undergarment.

Your scar is reasonably good at this time and the marginal benefit you could obtain from interventions is only likely to be minimal. Therefore, I cannot recommend any treatment at this time that would achieve any substantial improvement.

Scar revision for abdominal scars

+1

The indented scars can be improved with percutaneous scar release and scar revision surgery. I would not anticipate a tummy tuck later as that may or may not be needed. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Tummy Scar Revision Possible Without Tummy Tuck

+1

I understand that you want your scar improved now and dont want to wait years until you have had children. You are young and want to look good now.

The scars are depressed because of adhesion of the scar to the fascia of the muscle uner the scars. In addition, fat beneath the incisions was damaged and is missing so the scar is lower or depressed compared to the surrounding tissues.

I have treated similar scars by excising the scar and then using the 924 laser to dissolve the excess fat in the surrounding areas so that the surrounding skin becomes more level with the scar area. I also believe that the laser treatment lessens the chance that the scar will adhere again to the underlying tissue.

See the link below to see photos of a result following this technique

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Abdominal surgery scar revision

+1

Make my choice unanimous as for waiting til you are finished with child rearing. This gives you the better opportunity for lowering the scars. Regards.