Would abdominal scar removal surgery be helpful? (photo)

When I was six weeks old, I had surgery to remove a portion of my pancreas. Now that I am an adult I have a horizontal depressed abdominal scar that is about ten inches long. Also, above that scar, I have an adhesion from a tube that had been inserted. Would plastic surgery help the scar be less noticeable? Also, where would I find someone to successfully perform this surgery? Thank you!

Abdominal scar removal surgery

+1
Dear tthomas32, your abdominal scar has several features that can be improved with plastic surgery but this improvement doesn't mean that it will disappear!  The most a plastic surgeon can do is to modify a scar to make it less noticeable, in other words, change it for something else.  By removing the scar the indention or depression of the scar and adjacent drain hole can be eliminated.  With the photos provided I can guess you're young and probably haven't had a pregnancy yet so your abdominal skin looks to be of good quality.  Liposuction of the entire abdomen can improve its contour and help flatten the indention in your scar.  A personal evaluation would be essential to determine what would be the correct procedure for you based on your expectations... DrBrou

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Would abdominal scar removal surgery be helpful?

+1
While healing in any particular patient is unpredictable, it is generally possible to achieve a cosmetic improvement of your type of abdominal scar. A scar revision and liposuction of the surrounding tissue may produce a better result than just a scar revision. There is no way to totally eliminate the scar.

It is important to realize that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

A scar revision could do wonders for you

+1
but you must understand your scar can potentially still be 'bad'.  But a revision is almost certainly to help improve the look and contours.  Any plastic surgeon should be able to help you with this and its possible insurance may cover this.

Curtis Wong, MD

Abdominal scar removal is possible

+1
Based on your photograph the horizontal scar on your upper abdomen should be able to be improved.  Ideally the adhesions beneath the scar would be removed and a careful repair of the surface of the scar and the depth of the scar be done.  If possible performing modified laser liposuction around the periphery of the scar to lessen the amount of fat beneath the skin might also improve your results.

Any board certified plastic surgeon should be able to accomplish this procedure for you

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS