Abdominal muscle 4 months after giving birth .

Hello , I gave birth 4 months ago and I am looking 4 months pregnant ... I don't know what to do as people point at me all the time that I look so pregnant ..... Please help

Get your abdomen back in shape after pregnancy

+1
You still will improve after four months. My advice - tone up that belly! Don't do any straight up crunches - focus instead on overall core strengthening such as pilates, yoga, barre. A good rule of thumb is that as you flex your abdomen, in any exercise, the abdomen should get FLATTER. If your exercise is make it bulge out like crazy, it's THE WRONG EXERCISE and may be worsening your rectus diastasis. Exercises should pull it together, not apart. If in doubt, see someone who gets it in your gym (ie not the 20 year old) or have a Physical Therapy session - your gyn can usually recommend someone good. I've got three of my own, believe me, it takes a year at least. Good luck!

Rectus Muscle separation

+1
You did not mention your weight.  You must assure your weight is back to pre baby weight.  The rectus muscles separate during pregnancy and may or may not go back.  If your weight is where it should be and you still have a separation then you will eventually benefit from an abdominoplasty which is the official name for what is call a Tummy Tuck by laymen.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Weakness After Pregnancy

+1
Childen are a wonderful gift but they take a toll on a woman's body for sure. During pregnancy, the six pack muscles that used to be up and down get pushed out to the sides. After delivery, they come back to some degree but not all of the way. As a result, many women have a bulge in the space between them. The only solution that works on this problem is to pull the muscles back together and sew them in position. This is one of the three things accomplished in a tummy tuck. The other two are an improvement in waistline and shape using internal sutures and liposuction and removal of the skin and the fat between the belly button and the pubic bone.  All three of these things are important to the end result but only the muscle repair will provide a functional improvement as well. That is because your six pack muscles and your back muscles work together in a constant effort to keep you up straight. When the six pack muscles get pushed to the side, more and more work is required of the back muscles. By putting them back into a better position, the strain on your back is lessened as well.
If you are considering a tummy tuck seek out a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who does a modern tummy tuck without drains and with numbing medicine that is going to last a few days. Keep looking until you find a doctor you trust in an office you like.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1
If you are back to your normal weight and you feel like you abdomen has stopped changing, I would recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and seeing about a tummy tuck. Tummy tucks are able to help tighten your muscles and remove excess skin and fat from the front of the abdomen. At your consultation your surgeon can tell you if you are a good candidate or not.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Tummy tuck

+1
It sounds as though your stomach muscles were badly stretched from pregnancy.
Assuming you are not planning another child, and you have lost most of the pregnancy weight,
see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon two months from now to discuss a tummy tuck.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Abdominal muscle 4 months after giving birth

+1
After an effort has been made to reestablish prepregnancy form, a consultation for exam is reasonable to assess abdominal wall laxity.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Loose abdominal muscles after pregnancy

+1
Give your abdomen 6 months to 1 year after pregnancy to "recover" as much as possible.  After that time, if you are not planning on any further children, visit a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation on repair of your rectus diastasis.  I have done patients like you, including some that do not have extra skin.  Take a look at case #2608 on the link below.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Post-pregnancy tummy

+1
Hello there
Thank you for your question
Unfortunately as wonderful children are they can have an effect on your body and the tissues (skin and muscles) can become quite stretched.
I would suggest you try and exercise as much as possible and concentrate on your core to get your abdominals in as good a shape as possible.
If things are still not good then it might be an idea to see a physiotherapist who specialises in this area. I work very closely with an excellent practitioner and she gets excellent results. 
Failing this, surgery might then become a possibility and you would need to discuss things in more details with a Plastic Surgeon in person

Good luck

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal bulging after pregnancy

+1
It is normal to have abdominal bulging after pregnancy. You will continue to see improvements  over time as your body returns to baseline which takes a minimum of 6 months. Weight loss back to your pre-pregnancy weight will help. At that point, if your abdomen is still bulging, you  should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Tummy tuck surgery may be an option to recontour your waistline if you are finished childbearing.

Hayley Brown, MD

Post-pregnancy

+1
The muscles in your abdomen can separate with weight gain and pregnancies creating a central bulge called rectus diastasis.  The muscles can be re-approximated in a tummy tuck to obtain a flatter tummy.  I would see a plastic surgeon to examine your trunk to see if you're a candidate for a tummy tuck.  You may want to lose any weight that you gained during pregnancy prior to surgery.  Good luck!

Eugene Kim, MD