Abdominal Liposuction - Getting Bigger As the Weeks Go On. (photos)

I had liposuction of the abdomen, waist, and hips, and a breast reduction 7.5 weeks ago. I was thrilled with my results during the first week after the surgery. Since then I've continued to get bigger. I figured it was just swelling, but at 7.5 weeks I thought I'd start to see some improvements to get back to where I was that first week. Instead things keep getting worse. I've attached photos of before, 1 week post op, and 7.5 weeks post op. Is this swelling or what's going on?

Abdominal Liposuction - Getting Bigger As the Weeks Go On.

+2

Thank you for your question and photos. At almost 2 months out you should be having a slimmer shape. It is important that you wear your compression girdle to help decrease swelling and help with the skin support and tightening. I personally follow my patients closely, because I do a lot of sculpting and definition of the areas I treat. I have my patients wear a garment with additional thick foam pads inside it to selectively compress some of the areas treated. My patients stop wearing the compression garment when I tell them. Some wear it for 3 weeks, some for 8 weeks or longer.Everyone is different and heals at a different rate. Talk to your surgeon to see if this is "normal" in his/her practice or you might have some fluid accumulation as suggested by the other respondents. Good luck.

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

+2

I suggest that you see your plastic surgeon. You may have developed a seroma, a collection of fluid, that might need to be drained.  Seromas are unusual, but may develope after liposuction.  I would not delay i seeing your surgeon, for your skin may be stretched with the excess fluid.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Liposuction - Getting Bigger

+1

To get an answer to what is going on you would need to see your surgeon for an exam and explanation. There really isn't much that could cause this to increase other than a fluid colection under the tissues called a seroma. But I have been doing liposuction since 1982 and have never seen that in a pure liposuction patient.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD